What's new

need help with kanji tattoo!

outluded

後輩
8 Aug 2004
hey, im planning to get a kanji tattoo which says "body, mind, spirit"

im having a hard time finding the literal translation though, the best ive come up with is this....

is this correct or is there something more accurate? you can find alot of kanji on www.ideogear.com

thanks

outluded said:
hey, im planning to get a kanji tattoo which says "body, mind, spirit"
Hmm ... :eek:
outluded said:
im having a hard time finding the literal translation though, the best ive come up with is this....

is this correct or is there something more accurate? you can find alot of kanji on www.ideogear.com
You don't want that one for body.

I'd have serious thoughts about whether you should get it at all but you definitely don't want that one for body.

ok....i have my own reasons for getting that tattooo.

and can you go to the site and show me whihc one would be correct for "body"?

On second thoughts I'm more than a little dubious about that one for mind.

[EDIT]As I see it there isn't such a clear dividing line between mind and spirit in Japanese. You'd probably be better off with

心身 【しんしん】 (n) mind and body; (P)

that way at least it is an actual word instead of three kanji thrown together. 😌

hmmm thx, but you think theres a chance you can find that on www.ideogear.com as the characters there are much more detailed and umm "pretty" lol

ooh ok after seeing what you wrote again i remember seeing mind and body b4 on ideogear. but that is not what i need. i also remember reading that body mind spirit translates to shin or shinto. so what would be the way to write that?

outluded said:
i also remember reading that body mind spirit translates to shin or shinto. so what would be the way to write that?
Neither shin nor shinto translates to 'body mind spirit'.

Also you should be aware that the 'meanings' given on ideogear should be taken with a large grain of salt.

ok so is there any site that would give me nicely illustrated kanji that will translate to body mind spirit. and what would be the japanese way of saying that

Not off ideogear, but 身体心精神 (Body, heart/spirit, mind) is one way the phrase is sometimes communicated. And what do ya know ? they actually can all have readings with "shin" in them -- maybe that's how that started. 😌

outluded said:

isn't that genki? healthy spirit?

listen, personally these are totally normal looking kanji and if you learn a bit more about it, in time you will regret having such a boring type face on your body, regardless of the kanji.

My best advice to you is to see a Chinese or Japanese tatooist or Shuji / kaligraphy script writer (look in the local free ads or yellow pages) and ask them to write it for you.

this will look 40 million times better, regardless of the kanji

Do us all a big favor and post a picture of the tattoo after you have it done.

I like to save my best efforts at ridiculing for after it's too late.

Elizabeth said:
Not off ideogear
Which is good, that way it might actually be right.
Elizabeth said:
but 身体心精神 (Body, heart/spirit, mind) is one way the phrase is sometimes communicated. And what do ya know ? they actually can all have readings with "shin" in them
All? 体

And Original Poster Guy, seeing as I've wasted this much time on it, I'll throw in that you should really find a tattooist who knows Japanese. The results of handing bits of paper with kanji printed on them to somebody who knows nothing about who kanji are supposed to be written is likely to be just as entertaining as Mike is hoping for.

dadako said:
isn't that genki? healthy spirit?
No.

I know this isn't what you are wanting done, outluded....but I just thought this would be a good place to share my tattoo.

it's blurry, because the quality of the pic isn't so great.
but I really like having kanji tattooed on me. Especially since it has meaning behind it. I got mine done by a Portland tattoo artist. He's good friends with my ex, and is half.......I belive Vietnamese.

so yeah....get whatever you want done, especially if it has meaning to you...but it is important to know...or at least get to know the artist who will be doing it, cause if they screw up, you're the one that's screwed.

Sounds martial arts related ;) (if it is, what do you do? we can find you a nice one from that art).

Other wise I'd suggest 心 体 知 (heart - shin, body - tai, wisdom - chi), if you want body its 身 (shin)

Ewok85 said:
Other wise I'd suggest 心 体 知 (heart - shin, body - tai, wisdom - chi), if you want body its 身 (shin)
If you do go that way I suggest you leave a significant space between each kanji so it doesn't look like it's supposed to be an actual word.

ill go the yellow pages way and have it written out by a professional.

i do not understand why there would be much ridicule behind me getting a kanji tattoo. haha its so funny, this guy wants to get a tattoo and hes asking on how to get the real meaning....wow so funny.....

i will go to a tattooist that ive known for a bit, and no hes not a pro at kanji, but he knows how to put a stencil on and tattoo it, which is all i need

as for the purpose of me getting this done, i have my own philosophies and have been intrested in self meditation for quite a while. i want you to all share your tattoos so we caqn see how great and glorious they are...

outluded said:
i do not understand why there would be much ridicule behind me getting a kanji tattoo. haha its so funny, this guy wants to get a tattoo and hes asking on how to get the real meaning....wow so funny......

the ridicule that was mentioned was the one that would have ensued had you taken the "faulty" kanji and showed them off...

like when britney spears got a kanji tattoo thinking it meant "mysterious" and it turned out to mean weird.. that was funny...

outluded said:
i want you to all share your tattoos so we caqn see how great and glorious they are...
I don't have any and I don't intend to get any but if I did it would be a real Japanese tattoo not some hack kanji job.
outluded said:
ill go the yellow pages way and have it written out by a professional.
You're still better of if the tattooist knows Japanese as well.

don't worry about it.. it's not like you're permanently marking your body with something ... something that'll be there for the rest of our life...

oh wait..

Back
Top Bottom