What's new

Travel News Nagoya shakes off its image as Japan’s most boring city

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Strange, I have never viewed Nagoya as particularly boring: full of history and historical buildings and plenty of castles in and around the city, you could literally spend days sightseeing. CNN on Nagoya's image as "Japan's most boring city".

The city and its surrounding region, known as Chukyo, are filled with a wealth of attractions. These include historical castles, delicious food, scenic rail journeys, exciting theme parks, a thriving local bar scene and some of Japan's best museums. So why does it have a reputation amongst some Japanese residents for being dull? It reportedly all started in 2016, according to the Japan Times, when Nagoya wound up last on a survey asking residents in eight cities to select which ones were the most appealing as travel destinations. In the years since, the city has proven the opposite is true, according to Nagoya residents Lena Yamaguchi and Elisabeth Lloris.

Nagoya Is Not Boring

Nagoya Is Not Boring

Nagoya Is Not Boring aims to have Nagoya recognized as one of the top off-beat travel destinations in Japan for foreign travellers and to give every traveller to Japan the opportunity to explore Nagoya in a unique and authentic way through tours and experiences hosted by locals.

Nagoya Travel Guide

Travel  Nagoya Travel Guide

Nagoya (名古屋市), Japan’s fourth-largest city, is the capital of Aichi Prefecture, located in central Honshū on Ise Bay, as well as the political, financial, and cultural centre of the Chubu Region, halfway between Tōkyō and Ōsaka. History Located on the fertile Nōbi Plain, the region was early...

Strange, I have never viewed Nagoya as particularly boring: full of history and historical buildings and plenty of castles in and around the city, you could literally spend days sightseeing. CNN on Nagoya's image as "Japan's most boring city".

Nagoya Travel Guide

Travel  Nagoya Travel Guide

Nagoya (名古屋市), Japan’s fourth-largest city, is the capital of Aichi Prefecture, located in central Honshū on Ise Bay, as well as the political, financial, and cultural centre of the Chubu Region, halfway between Tōkyō and Ōsaka. History Located on the fertile Nōbi Plain, the region was early...
I always thought it was kind of like the Detroit of Japan. There's lots of history and stuff to do in Detroit too but other cities are more appealing. Plus, like Detroit, it has a reputation related to industry and automobile manufacturing more so than tourism.

Ha, Detroit was the first US city I have ever visited (in the early 80s, when we had relatives living in Ann Arbor). That was pretty exciting, in fact. :)

TBS NEWS
I checked why the voice of the question was chosen in the net following the fact that Nagoya was elected by one of "the place that was the most splendid in the world" that American TIME announced.

TIME
WORLD'S GREATEST PLACES 2023
Ghibli Park
Chita Distillery
Nagoya is a historic famous place for a Japanese.
However, it is a place not to become at the trip destination.

Back
Top Bottom