What's new

Mystery character..?

SSS

Registered
8 Jan 2018
So, i'm pretty much an absolute beginner, and I've been taking my time trying to learn the language via reading manga, translating what I read piece by piece, just treating it like a puzzle.. However, I've run into something of a mystery character...

I've tried looking through all kanji radicals, hiragana, katakana; but no luck.

Now, I can't link the character because it was hand written, so i'll do my best to describe it to you :

It essentially looked like an equal sign(=), but it was turned vertically..The characters were written in columns.. So i'm wondering.. Is this just the equals sign? Or does it mean something else? Oh, and i'm certain it isn't "リ" because this same character was handwritten right next to the mystery character and it looked completely different...

I should also note I saw this same vertical equal character multiple times in the same column.

So, i'm pretty much an absolute beginner, and I've been taking my time trying to learn the language via reading manga, translating what I read piece by piece, just treating it like a puzzle

How's that translating a language you don't know written in characters you haven't learned and can't decipher working out for you? How long have you been at it and what have you actually learned by this method so far?

Is there some special reason you decided upon this utterly ineffective and time-wasting method instead of doing something wild and crazy like buying a traditional textbook and learning at least the basics of the language before you try to translate it?

(The standard answers we get to this question are: 1) I'm special and I know what works best for me and it isn't textbooks; 2) I have textbooks and I'm using them (even though what I actually have are reference books and I just don't know the difference); 3) They cost too much. You may answer by number if it will save you some typing).

Now, I can't link the character because it was hand written, so i'll do my best to describe it to you

Take a picture.

How's that translating a language you don't know written in characters you haven't learned and can't decipher working out for you? How long have you been at it and what have you actually learned by this method so far?

Is there some special reason you decided upon this utterly ineffective and time-wasting method instead of doing something wild and crazy like buying a traditional textbook and learning at least the basics of the language before you try to translate it?

(The standard answers we get to this question are: 1) I'm special and I know what works best for me and it isn't textbooks; 2) I have textbooks and I'm using them (even though what I actually have are reference books and I just don't know the difference); 3) They cost too much. You may answer by number if it will save you some typing).

Take a picture.

1. I'm doing it just for fun, I don't particularly care much for results, I just enjoy the process i'm using. I'm doing it for the sake of the act, not the end result.

Next you may say "What is the point?" and to that I say : you can say that about anything.

2.I don't have any method of doing that.

I don't have any method of doing that.
Then, it's hard to give you the correct answer. The picture is the best, but we at least need to know the context to decipher it. What is written before and after the character? What is the whole sentence?

Back
Top Bottom