What's new

Mt Fuji Hike Trails

ellechic14

先輩
11 Sep 2008
Hi -

I'm finalizing my hiking trip to Mt Fuji and want to know which trail is the best to take.
I want to see the sunset (en route to the summit and stay at a mountain hut) and the sunrise at the summit.

I originally thought to take the Fujinomiya trail since it's facing south and would be the best side to see the sunset, but what about the sunrise? I heard that the Kawaguchiko trail has the best views of the sunrise.

If that is the case, if I take the Fujinomiya trail up... see the sunset on the side... can I go around the to the Kawaguchiko side for the sunrise when I get to the summit?

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

i took a bus to camp 5 and walked up some trail or another, can't remember the name (probably Kawaguchiko, as it's the most popular and was probably recommended to us). There are "mountain huts" at the stations as you go up, and setting off at 10pm we made it to the summit just in time for the sunrise. To be honest, we were all so cold and exhausted we didn't spend much time at the summit before we headed down. The stations we stopped at let you "stay" for a small amount of time depending on what you bought, it's not like a hotel. The trail we took down intersected with the trail we took up, but was more like a switchback made from loose volcanic gravel. Pretty easy but grueling descent, if only because we were already tired.

Regardless of when you go (the climbing season is pretty short anyways), dress WARM (a t-shirt and one jacket was hardly enough for me), and bring snacks and water. When you get up to the 7th and 8th station, a 500 yen of instant noodles is surprisingly good. Take breaks when necessary and have fun.

Latest news reports an extraordinary amount of snowfall this time of the year, and the trails, which are usually open now, are closed to the general public.

I recommend checking out status on Mt. Fuji opening and on avalanches and othe potential hazards during the summer season before you go. Plan your hike very carefully this year!!

I am going to hike Mount Fuji at the end of this month (roughly 27-Aug). Are there still many people climbing at this time?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom