What's new

mixed race?

Funny that you ask. Don't you know that there is a large minority of Indians in Mexico? About 30 % of the population (different sources have different numbers, I also read sth. of 15 %).

Another 10 % are white (mainly Spanish), the rest are the Mestizos you mentioned (funny that I forgot to mention them earlier, hmmm, maybe I was too tired).

The reason I asked was the fact that (American)Indians are mongoloid, just like most Chinese (different sub-races, yeah, but still mongoloid). I wondered if you then would have been distinguishable from other Chinese.

I was talking about ethnicity not nationality really. I know that there are many ethnicities in Mexico. when I said Mexican I meant the standard race (mixed nat. american + spaniard ) that lives there. ethnicity + nationality are often mixed up in conversations like these.

Mongoloid? Hmm, I must say though, I really don't know much on the Chinese and different sub-races. Oh, and I do look diff. from the average Chinese. not too diff. though, I mean there might be some chinese that look a lot like me. =\

"I also see it as being a benefit. Since they were born in the U.S., they will always be American citizens, but if they don't choose to keep their Japanese citizenship at 18, they will lose it forever. Right now, they have all the rights that any other Japanese citizen has plus the rights of being an American citizen."
gets through customs/passports much faster on both sides also? :)
is what i was told...

I am mixed too! My mom is Okinawan and my dad is black. Just to point out something real interesting...... My sisters and I grew up in D.O.D. (military brat) schools as a child. There was never an issue about race growing up, because in the military community, we were, for the most part, all mixed with something. When I moved to Alabama in my 9th grade year, that was the first time I encountered racism. To seek security, I relied on black kids for support, because I identified with them through my father. My youngest sister stayed neutral and my oldest sister chose to hang around white kids. We were given a choice because of my mom's nationality and it was easier, for some reason, for us to pick and choose. To this day, we have stayed the course of the decisions we made when we first came here, which I find kind of saddening. It was, and still is, hard to identify with the Japanese culture because we were seperated from it, and our customs became more westerized. But to make a long story short, no one has the right to discriminate based on race, because there are no pure races around anymore. Everyone is mixed with someone. Many racist fail to realize that their European ancestors here practiced a frontier of inclusion with natives in order to get the labor they needed for agriculture. So, you mean to tell me your great great great grand daddy never had jungle fever? :) It's a known fact that interacial mixing went on. I regret that I was given the option to choose a particular race to associate with because I was so ignorant to the fact that there are no races to associate with. Well, that's my two cents. Because I am half black and half Japanese makes me no different from everyone else. Do you all feel me? :) Have a nice day.

One of the reasons I love the lower east side of Manhattan is that the vast majority of kids here are some sort of mix of "races".

WRT terminology, I tend to prefer the word "mixed" to "half-this", "half-that", or other over-hyphenated-monstrosities.

Slightly OT: cool thing about having bi-lingual kids. My 2-year old and I get into the elevator. A man gets the 3rd floor, looks at 2YO and says "hi". 2YO smiles sweetly and says "KUSAI". Man smiles back and says "Hi cutey", exits on his floor. Everybody's happy and I'm quietly laughing my butt off.

And he was really "kusai", by the way.

Yoshihara: "no one has the right to discriminate based on race, because there are no pure races around"

So, what you are saying in effect is that if there are pure races you have the right to discriminate?!

Beside the question of what would be a pure race, you should not forget that races are a biological fact (though denied by some overly PC anthropologists) while racism is a cultural/psychological phenomenon.
When I hear people talk like you, I always get the impression that they are afraid of their own inherent racist feelings & therefore they outright deny the existence of races (though in your case this seems unlikely).

No matter whether pure, not-so-pure, mixed or whatever-else races exist (or not), biological differences are not a reason for discrimination!

Originally posted by Carolgirl00
there might be some chinese that look a lot like me. =\

You sure might fit in somewhere, since there are not only mongoloid but also caucasoid Chinese, as well as mixtures in various degrees of course. :)

Sorry, if I seem stupid, but what does =\ mean? Depending on the viewing mode, Unicode or Japanese, it's an equal sign either with backslash or crossed-out Y. I looked it up in smiley dictionaries, but couldn't find it.

I guess that about 90% of Americans actually born in the States have mixed origins.

Myself, as a European, have various origins. But it all depends what people consider as "mixed". For example could someone who is half British, half Australian (of British descent) be considered as "mixed" ? Nationalities are different, but the ethny and language are the same.
In Europe it's very difficult to separate "ethnic groups" because most countries have invaded each others or have different borders throughout history. Modern nationalities don't reflect at all "ethnies". It is estimated that about 50% of Northern French people have Germanic blood. Germanic tribes who invaded the Roman Empire left descendants in all Southern Europe and the Maghreb, and so did the Vikings a few centuries later.

My Genealogy, though it doesn't go as far back as the Vikings or Roman times (which is anyway impossible), shows that I have French, German, Belgian, Dutch, English and possibly Italian ancestors.

But of course my g-tree isn't complete. If I wanted to know where all my ancestors (i.e. all my DNA) came from 300 years ago, that would be about 12 generations (25 years per generation in average), which in other words is 4096 people of this generation only. So I am not exactly sure what percentage of these 4096 people exactly came from where, but that would be interesting to know.

In addition to this multiplicity of origins, I am proud to say that I have the nationality of each of my ancestors' country.... Don't believe me, huh ? Well since 1992, the European nationality has been created for the EU in addition of individual countries. That's suits me very well, and I hope that only the European nationality remain in the future (probably not before all European countries have joined the EU, adopted the Euro and reinforced the EU government, but that could happen quicker than one expect).

I feel the cultural heritage of all the European countries I cited, as I have lived in or learned the language of each country.

Even if they have been ethnically mixed for ages, Westerners have a very rich and diverse cultural heritage, as each linguistic group is different culture. No matter whether they are Europeans, Americans (all continent), Australian or South African, most Westerners have mixed European origins. That is probaly what makes it so difficult for Japanese to distinguish between them.

For me the "half-this", "half-that" issue is not relevant, except if only the parents and the knowledge of their language and culture are to be taken into account. "Race" doesn't mean anything. Some Japanese are mistaken for Chinese or Koreans in their own country, even when they are pure Japanese. I think that the language one speaks is reflected on one's face. I can pretty easily say who is British Indian and who is Indian from India, just from the facial expression. That's also how I tell European between them. Some French people, whatever they look like, have an expression that says "I am French" on their forehead. :D It's usually possible to distinguish most (not all) Scandinavians between them, even though they are all "pure Germanic"and have the same origin and a similar language. With some practice it's possible to tell Koreans, Chinese and Japanese apart. But if they were born and raised in a Western country, that's much more difficult.

=\ is just an emoticon. hehe, it was to signify my unsure feelings or something. lol, don't over analyze it ok? ^^;; And yes, that was a backslash.

Oh and once again about my race. I've only met one asian/latin american mixed person my whole life!! The asians can recognize me as well asian of course, but the mexicans can't even tell I'm latin american. It's kind of sad since that's a huge part of me! Half! But if I went to Mexico or something I wouldn't be thought of very differently because there are many Mexicans that look asian (their eyes). Don't know how it happens but it does.

I am not mixed race, but i know plenty people who are !!! one of my friends is half chinese and british, it works great for him !!! he gets alot of ladies !!!

As for me i was born and bred in the great country of the Great Britain!

Keep referring to your kids as mixed, and watch them spend the rest of their lives in therapy. It's amazing how human beings are labeled and discriminated against.

Back
Top Bottom