What's new

Looking for Historical Guidelines & Dimensions of Imperial Rising Sun Flag

virtu

Registered
8 Feb 2019
The following Wiki Commons page has a image which shows how to layout a modern Japanese flag.

I am looking for similar layout guidelines for a Japanese Imperial Rising Sun Flag.

I want to create the flag from scratch in Adobe Illustrator using historical guidelines and do not want to copy another person's work.

I was looking for a simple graphic using numbers as I would be unable to read Japanese language instructions.

That's the only image a quick search turned up. Perhaps others can be of more assistance.

View attachment 28187

Some more info here: 日の丸、旭日旗 | 日本陸海軍機入門

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I searched Google & Bing and found nothing.

It took a couple minutes to figure out how to best create and correctly place the 32 sun rays at the right angle.

Here are the steps for Adobe Illustrator CS6 at least based upon memory:

1. Create a new file with a 18" x 12" artboard using inches as units.
  2. Add a 6" circle filled with RGB 188, 0, 45. Place its center point at 6" from the top and 7" from the left.
  3. Add a piechart with a initial size of 6" x 6" using the piechart tool. A spreadsheet will appear.
  4. Type "11.25" in the top row of the first 32 columns and close the spreadsheet with clicking the green checkmark toolbar.
  5. A piechart of 32 segments will appear. Segments are colored various monotone shades.
  6. Ungroup the piechart so that each segment can be selected individually.
  7. Select alternating segments and fill them with RGB 188, 0, 45. They should have no border.
  8. Select the remaining set of alternating segments and fill them with RGB 255, 255, 255. They should have no border.
  9. Regroup piechart.
  10. Place the center of piechart at 7" from the left and 6" from the top.
  11. Increase the width and length of piechart so that it fills the artboard. Make sure the width and height are exactly the same - 26" should work for this example.
  12. Move piechart to the back.
  13. The vertical center point of the piechart is a border between a white and red segment. The flag's vertical center point should be the center of a red segment. Rotate the piechart 5.625 degrees.
  14. Enjoy!

Here's a test export:

Very impressive, I wish my Illustrator skills were just half as good as yours!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Back
Top Bottom