What's new

Looking for a list of transitive causatives used with を

4 Apr 2014
Occasionally i make mistakes of forming causatives from verbs that have an appropriate transitive forms, like ××に乗らせる instead of ××を乗せる or ○○に起きさせる instead of ○○を起こす. So i was wondering whether there is a comprehensive list of commonly used transitive-causative verbs (is there a better way to call them by the way?)

As Mike-san pointed out, those are just transitive.
By the way, the causative form of intransitive verbs such like 乗らせる and 起きさせる is different in meaning from the transitive counterpart.
e.g.
(from father to mother, regarding their child)
もう子供じゃないんだから、一人でバスに乗らせろ。
もう子供じゃないんだから、自分で起きさせろ。

In these cases, he said "let/make the child do by themselves", and 乗せろ/起こせ can't be used here since it works as the causative to the mother. 乗るようにさせろ/起きるようにさせろ is more commonly used in this usage, though.

@Mike Cash
the list seems incomplete, for one there's no 喜ぶ/喜ばす pair in it, which i explicitly failed in a conversation recently saying something along: "本当に喜ばせていただきました" instead of 喜ばしていただきました.

@Toritoribe
Thanks for clarification. Is ようにさせる more common only in spoken language or in both spoken and written?

the list seems incomplete, for one there's no 喜ぶ/喜ばす pair in it, which i explicitly failed in a conversation recently saying something along: "本当に喜ばせていただきました" instead of 喜ばしていただきました.
喜ばす is just the classical form of 喜ばせる, and 喜ばせていただきました is more commonly used than 喜ばしていただきました, as you can check by google search. There is no problem to interpret 喜ばす as a causative form of 喜ぶ since す is a bit classical auxiliary verb for causative.

[助動]四段・ナ変・ラ変動詞の未然形に付く。
1 相手が自分の思うようにするように、また、ある事態が起こるようにしむける意を表す。
[補説]平安時代以降、漢文訓読文の「しむ」に対し、主に和文系統の文章に用いられた。中世以降、下一段化して、現代語の「せる」となる。
す[助動]の意味 - goo国語辞書

This is different from usual intransitive-transitive pairs such like 動く ugoku -動かす ugokasu or 減る heru -減らす herasu (intransitive: stem-u, transitive: stem-asu). In these transitive verbs, -す is not interchangeable with -せる. 動かせる/減らせる only works as the potential form of the transitive verb, not the causative form of the intransitive verb.
cf.
驚く-驚かす/驚かせる, 脱ぐ-脱がす/脱がせる

Is ようにさせる more common only in spoken language or in both spoken and written?
The latter.

Had no idea about that classical auxiliary す. Now i actually see that 喜ばす is not even tagged as transitive in my dictionary. Which also dispels my doubts about the list that Mike kindly provided being reliable.

Off to memorizing verb pairs from the list.
Thank you both for the help!

Back
Top Bottom