What's new

lawyer in Tokyo

BBTaiyo

後輩
20 May 2007
I currently work as an attorney-candidate in Vienna (mainly litigation and real estate); I have four years of relevant work experience, recently took the Austrian bar exam (which supposedly makes me the youngest attorney-candidate with the Austrian bar exam) and also did a doctorate. I have some additional skills like good English (TOEFL 647), some Japanese (my accent is not THAT bad, my reading-skills are), abroad experience (two semesters Stockholm) and I am quite good at computers.

However law is not exactly the most international discipline and also finding a good job in Japan usually is hard if your Japanese is not perfect. And that's my question: I plan to go to Tokyo (probably Shinjuku because I have an opportunity to live there for a very low rent) later this year, to improve my Japanese and do a MBA (2 mill Yen); how can I find a part time job which will suit my CV and pay the bills while I'm there?

I am thinking of a company counseling people who want to do business with (central) Europe; but of course any other job which meets the above requirements is absolutely fine. Thank you for your ideas (except for the most obvious ones: "Ask your embassy in Tokyo!" etc) in advance!

Foreign law firms, audit and accounting firms, patent law offices, ..., such companies are possible places for you to work. In companies which deal with the Japanese/German relation you could make use of your two main languages (even though English would still be essential). You will have to be a little flexible in your expectations. Find out which kind of candidates each particular firm needs (like audit firms need lawyer with an interest in taxes) and position yourself accordingly. For some companies going through their Austrian or German subsidiaries is more promising, others you can approach directly in Japan. You will have to do a lot of research to find all the information you need. Going through association (like the one you list in your profile) might bring you contacts but also search for other ways. Be sensitive in your approach so you don't spoil future chances.

Domo domo

Thank you very much for your quick response!
Foreign law firms, audit and accounting firms, patent law offices, ..., such companies are possible places for you to work.
I am not too sure about this. At least here in Austria this type of companies do not offer part-time jobs.
BTW: I consider my two main languages to be English and German (rather than Japanese and German).
Let me rephrase my question: Does any of you know
Japanese companies, that counsel people who want to do business with (central) Europe? (Or even better: A company that deals with Japan as well as with one or more central European countries)
BTW2: I already tried "going through the Austrian or German subsidiaries" of Japanese companies but the reply was always the same: "Try the main company in Japan!"

Back
Top Bottom