What's new

Language Exchange experiences?

Most important qualities for Language Exchange (they are paired, choose 1)

• Total voters

bakaKanadajin

先輩
30 Apr 2007
So, how many people here currently or at one point in time pursued Language Exchange? What was the outcome? What are the secrets to having a successful long term exchange partner and/or being one?

Above is a small poll, if you did want Language Exchange what kind of person do you think you'd prefer? Do you think same sex or opposite sex exchange partners are better, i.e. does it get in the way, does it even matter? Etc..

I'm surprised, no one here has done Language Exchange at some point in time?

Or was the experience so negative (being uninteresting or horrific) that no one cares to comment :D

Language Exchange has great effect on new leaners..I think
We can also learn something else from Language Exchange ,such as culture and custom.

Yes, I've done it. It was okay, can make some friends that way. I've done Japanese-English and Chinese-Japanese-English (my teacher was Chinese, but advanced level in Japanese).

It is a good way to get started, but it is time intensive, thus why many people later go to just taking classses or studying on their own.

I had some language exchange about a year ago with a 45 year old Japanese guy, and that just didn't worked out because of the age difference...

I should find some new Language exchange partner again, because I do want to improve my Japanese and I want to make some more friends. Thinking about this, I think Up for more than just LangX. is a very good idea.

I'm not a big fan as past experiences have been too lopsided. Far more English spoken than Japanese so it put me off for quite a while. However a few weeks ago, when I went back home to Australia I met up with a Japanese friend, and most of the conversation was in Japanese. It wasn't really organised as a language exchange but I kind of felt a bit guilty afterwards. Also, since I've just moved to a new city (Sapporo), I'm actually just trying to organise a few language exchanges now (got one tonight I think). My Japanese is much better these days than a year or two ago when I first started doing language exchanges, so it might turn out to be a bit better. We'll see.

Also, from past experience, if your Japanese language ability is too good, then many Japanese will not want to meet you. They'd rather meet someone who is a complete beginner, as this guarantees them ample English time. So now when I contact someone, or am contacted, I write to them in the best, most formal Japanese I can, just so the leeches are weeded out from the very beginning and I'm not wasting my own time.

I had some language exchange about a year ago with a 45 year old Japanese guy, and that just didn't worked out because of the age difference...

I should find some new Language exchange partner again, because I do want to improve my Japanese and I want to make some more friends. Thinking about this, I think Up for more than just LangX. is a very good idea.

Hey, I saw your blog and from what I've seen, you have a Japanese girl, so why not let her introduce you to some friends. In fact, you two could be language partners, like dedicate some time to teach each other Japanese-English-Dutch, it might work out alright.

Mauricio

I feel the same W1ngzer0. After I mastered the basics of Japanese, practically all of my Japanese friends spoke very little or no English and it was much easier for them (and me) to speak in Japanese. I was awkward at first, but they were patient, didn't care (as the friendship was most important) and I learned alot.

On the other hand there were also a few Japanese who wanted a kind of language exchange, but it was never formal and little or no teaching was involved. On some days we would speak in just English with a little explaination here and there and others it was in Japanese. No money was ever exchanged as it was more a friendship than anything else and it was usually done during a night out drinking or at each others places for drinks and such and they ranged in age from about my own at the time to 20-30 years older.

It was a great way for each other to learn the language as it was really spoken including idiomatic expressions and slang as well as informal conversation among friends. Besides, if your "friend" was female, as it was in one case for me, there were added "benifits" at the end of the evening, but it never went to the boyfriend/girlfriend level as neither of us wanted that. Still it was one of the friendships I had that I look back on fondly.

My requirement is that they speak an Asian language. After that I don't mind what they are. Boy, girl, man, woman, 16, 36. If they can speak the slightest amount of English then they're fine for language exchange with me. It is easier if they're Japanese and their English level is equivalent to my Japanese level but it's no requirement. Most of the language exchange people I meet are Korean these days, hence why I can read hangul, can't really say much in Korean though but that's where they can teach me.

I'll tell you the secret: the best language exchange occurs when the other person (could be you) doesn't really care to learn the language, so that way the other person (could be you) can just leach freely. Then, once that annoying conflict (English vs. Japanese war) is over and no one cares about it, the two parties involved can just go out/hang out/become friends.

Langauge EXCHANGES SUCK! They SUCK! It's like taking two different heads and butting them together and somehow both parties are supposed to be happy. No, I'm sorry. Doesn't work. Give me a Japanese person who doesn't care about English or practices it WITH SOMEONE ELSE and we'll be happy buds.

since im traveling to japan in August, I am trying to get a language exchance partner from Japan, its hard to find one tho, I have 1 japanese girl in in my emailist. who seems to be unable to reply my mails.
In the meanwhile im studying hirigana and katakana from a site. So now i am able to translate hirigana to western, but i have no idea what it means heh.
Guess i just have to double my Anime portions.

I want to be a language exchange partner

Hi, I am a Japanese and have not enough experience talk in english language.
So, could I find someone who can be my language exchange partner ?
I will teach you Japanese language(including anime, tax , legal term)
at the same time, could you bestow a chance to learn english language ?
my skype ID is aktosn036327759.

Hey, Anpan i think you should check out InterPals Penpals :: Make friends online and find free pen pals from around the world! , its really good, at least so far i have only had good experience from it, i study every week 1h with a Japanese woman, she helps me out with my Japanese, but i study a lot of my own, but that extra hour with a Japanese speaking person really helps me with how to pronounce certain words and phrases, and as well with the writing ^^ , i am sure you can find someone who is speaking English willing to help you other there, best of luck!

I have/had a language exchange partner, and we are a similar age, with similar interests. But his English is very good, and my Japanese not so much so the conversation flow changes a lot when we swap language as my requirements are much more basic. I think 2 people of intermediate ability or above will get the most out of language exchange

Back
Top Bottom