What's new

Kyūdō

louagatha

後輩
13 Apr 2020
I'm Agatha, from Indonesia. Recently I watched an anime called Tsurune, Kazemai Koukou Kyūdōbu, and it really piques my interest. For a project in school, I choose kyūdō as the topic, so can anybody tell me more about this martial art? Because I really need pure opinions about kyūdō from someone, rather than just collecting datas from books and internet. Thank you for your time

I already know the basic information about kyūdō, such as equipment, movements, positions in group competition and etc (I even downloaded a book about kyūdō from Hideharu Onuma). What I need is more about native people's opinion in kyūdō itself, like is it practiced by many people in Japan? How popular this sport is?

I've never personally known anybody that does it but I'm not Japanese. There are 1185 practice locations (clubs or dojos) where one can learn it though so it's not rare. See the map of locations here:

According to the Wikipedia page there are 141,000 members of the federation (as of 2015) without about half of them being high school students and another 9% junior high school and 10% were university students at that time. There are probably many more since you don't necessarily need to be registered with the federation to practice it.

I already know the basic information about kyūdō, such as equipment, movements, positions in group competition and etc (I even downloaded a book about kyūdō from Hideharu Onuma). What I need is more about native people's opinion in kyūdō itself, like is it practiced by many people in Japan? How popular this sport is?
Well, I would say it's far less common than other major sports like baseball, football, basketball, etc., or other marshal arts like kendo, judo. In fact, most people would have never touched any bow or arrow. I took kyūdō class in my collage, though (well, a long time ago and just a half year).

Is there any specific reason or criteria for someone to learn kyūdō or just like any other martial arts, it can learnt by everyone?

I also read that kyūdō is used in ceremonial practices, is there some kind of meaning behind that?

Back
Top Bottom