What's new

Travel News June, July 2022: only 8,000 foreign tourists in Japan

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Today, Japan's Immigration Services Agency reported that only 8,000 foreign tourists arrived in June and July.

Why so few:
  • Tourists need to apply for a visa at local Japanese embassies
  • Requirement of a negative PCR test within 72 hours before entry.
  • Requirement of joining a guided tour. <--- I can relate to that.

Doesn't look too good for August either.

Tourists from 102 countries and territories including the United States, South Korea and China are allowed to come, but only in group tours. The agency says 252 foreign tourists came to Japan in June and about 7,900 in July. The Japan Tourism Agency says around 8,500 foreign tourists have applied to arrive between last Friday and August 31. Officials say one possible reason for the low number of foreign holidaymakers is that China still restricts overseas travels by its citizens. They also cite the time-consuming process needed to travel to Japan, as all tourists are required to obtain a visa and show a negative PCR test result. European and US travelers prefer to travel individually as opposed to joining group tours.

While the number of "incoming" tourists in Japan is still low, July was the fourth month in a row with over 100,000 foreign visitors.

The foreign arrivals, which totaled 144,500 last month, were 2.8 times higher than those in July 2021. But it represented a 95.2 percent plunge from the same month in the pre-pandemic year of 2019, according to JNTO. [...] By country, the largest number of total foreign arrivals to Japan in July was from Vietnam at 22,700, South Korea at 20,400 and China at 14,800, with most likely to have come as technical interns, businesspeople or international students.

Outgoing travel has increased, too.

Meanwhile, the number of Japanese who went overseas in July numbered 277,900, which was 6.4 times higher compared to the same month in 2021. The figure marked an 83.3 percent drop from the same month in 2019.

200.gif

I think I would go broke flying from Maine to Japan and possibly die from jet lag. My last flight home from there years back took over 20 hours , UGH.

Japan's tourism industry shares your concerns:

Industry sources said travelers are put off by Japan's remaining entry rules concerning PCR tests and chaperoned travel packages. Others noted that the COVID-19 pandemic has not gone away. "Japan still imposes tough restrictions," said an official of TAS Co., a Tokyo-based company that specializes in inbound trips. "It is lagging behind other countries in letting in tourists despite its claim to be a tourism powerhouse." [...] The official said a major drawback is that Japan allows travelers to enter the country only in monitored group tours, not as individual tourists. So instead of Japan, travelers who prefer to set their own itineraries are opting for South Korea, Thailand and European countries, according to the official. The official also noted that some restaurants and tourist facilities in Japan are refusing to accept foreign guests as an anti-virus measure, making it more difficult for the company to arrange inbound tours.

Yes, the 72 hour PCR test is something that no one's happy about. I have two upcoming overseas trips, And planning for the PCR test is a bit of a pain in the neck in some countries. It's also between 80 to 150 USD. Yikes

My parents tried to apply for a visa to visit in June, based on blood relation to me, which is permitted. The embassy requires:
-my passport
-my visa
-their passports
-my family registry in Japan
-my city registration in Japan
-a letter explaining why I want them to visit
-and the kicker, a birth certificate with both my parents' names on it, which no person has on hand.

I complained to the embassy, and was lectured for complaining, because their requirements were completely reasonable and they had already helped so many people without any complaint. The embassy rep who wrote their e-mail didn't give their name, because their reply was completely unprofessional

So, I had to apply to my home province online for a document generally only issued for inheritance settlements or adopting orphaned blood relative children.

The Canadian government office requires a guarantor of a registered profession to guarantee my identity. Japan no longer has EMS mail service to Canada. I used Yamato, they won't deliver to post office boxes. Two months later, I still don't have my birth certificate processed, much less a visa for my parents, and the Obon holiday they were planning to visit for has already passed. These three years without seeing my family have been stressful, and the Japanese government is making that a fourth year with their pointless bureaucratic rules.

**** the government and their restrictions which provide no safety, just soundbites. And **** the embassy rep who want to pretend like getting a visa is simple and I'm the wrong party for being frustrated.

Why are the number of tourists so low?

@nahadef, just to clarify: was this the Japanese embassy in Canada or a general consulate? Have you considered lodging a formal complaint with the MoFA in Tokyo?

Good luck with the visa; I hope your parents will make it to Japan soon!

My parents tried to apply for a visa to visit in June, based on blood relation to me, which is permitted. The embassy requires:
-my passport
-my visa
-their passports
-my family registry in Japan
-my city registration in Japan
-a letter explaining why I want them to visit
-and the kicker, a birth certificate with both my parents' names on it, which no person has on hand.

I complained to the embassy, and was lectured for complaining, because their requirements were completely reasonable and they had already helped so many people without any complaint. The embassy rep who wrote their e-mail didn't give their name, because their reply was completely unprofessional

So, I had to apply to my home province online for a document generally only issued for inheritance settlements or adopting orphaned blood relative children.

The Canadian government office requires a guarantor of a registered profession to guarantee my identity. Japan no longer has EMS mail service to Canada. I used Yamato, they won't deliver to post office boxes. Two months later, I still don't have my birth certificate processed, much less a visa for my parents, and the Obon holiday they were planning to visit for has already passed. These three years without seeing my family have been stressful, and the Japanese government is making that a fourth year with their pointless bureaucratic rules.

**** the government and their restrictions which provide no safety, just soundbites. And **** the embassy rep who want to pretend like getting a visa is simple and I'm the wrong party for being frustrated.

Why are the number of tourists so low?

I needed a copy of my wife's family registry in Japan showing my relationship. As we both live in Chicago, this was fun as the townhall where her mom lives hasn't realized that things like email or even fax machines exist. We needed to show up in person to get it, and it had to be no older than three months. In the end we got "special permission" for my wife's sister to go and get it, then take a picture with her phone and send it to my wife via Line. We then printed that out and the consulate accepted it. Now, you may be wondering why the townhall couldn't just do the same or even just send it directly to the consulate if privacy/security was the concern? Well that is something we wonder as well. :(

Back
Top Bottom