What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Travel News JR West's new sightseeing train debuts

Davey

Contributor
Reaction score

mdchachi

Reaction score
We took the Cassopeia from Tokyo to Sapporo when it first launched about 20 years ago (and now it's defunct many years later). It was a really nice fancy train. It wasn't its maiden voyage but since it was new there was a journalist on the train. We were young newlyweds and got a few quotes from us and our picture in a travel magazine. They sent it to us later as a courtesy and I still have it as a souvenir.

A couple years ago, we -- now four of us -- took the Sunrise Seto to Takamatsu. That was a neat experience but nowhere near as comfy. Essentially each person had a 2-jo floor to sleep on but no futon. So not comfortable but still fun for the kids and a good way to go. Of course there were more expensive and, I'm sure, more comfortable sleeping options but I didn't opt for those.

Seiko

Sempai
Reaction score
Please help me understand... are these type of trains sightseeing train only.
Can people get on the train like its a normal train and get off when it reach their stop?

mdchachi

Reaction score
Please help me understand... are these type of trains sightseeing train only.
Can people get on the train like its a normal train and get off when it reach their stop?
Depends on the train and the types of cars it has. For example the Odakyu Romance train is a big commuter train in Tokyo but also is used for sightseeing/travel to destinations nearby such as Kamakura.
This particular train is a sleeper train so it's not a normal train. It would be used by people traveling this route for whatever reason. Could be sightseeing or just transportation to get home or back to the city. Here's a video tour of the sleeper cars.

Top Bottom