What's new

JR Pass

laurilovesyou

April 2007!
6 Nov 2006
We ve been debating over the JR pass i keep hearing that its worth it and hearing that its a waste from some. Were going to asakusa for a month, and planning to go to kyoto for a few days to a week while we are there. I saw a package deal with tickets for the shinkasen and hotel for a few days in kyoto which was pretty inexpensive.
Can you use the jr pass for the subways to get around tokyo for everyday use? or is it geared for more long distance travel? Is there some sort of all you can ride ticket for a month on the regular around town subway?

Any advice on the jr pass would be a big help!!
Thanks!

Hey Laurilovesyou. I'm just about to purchase my JR pass today actually (yay! :D), so I will give you the low down from my understanding of it all. If you are only going to catch the shinkansen to Kyoto, a return trip will cost each of you about 30000 to 40000 Yen (roughly $300 to $400 US at the max). All the subway lines in Tokyo are privately owned, though they are inexpensive to catch (around 300 yen) and if you want to put a JR pass to use in Tokyo, JR run a train line that hits all the major areas such as Akihabara, Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya etc.

I think you can get pre-paid cards for the Tokyo subways (don't quote me on that), You can also purchase JR passes for specific areas which are much cheaper than a regular JR pass- check out JAPAN RAIL PASS | ジャパン・レール・パス for more information.

Have fun!

Yeah They do offer prepay cards but if you plan to buy a JRPass that should also be good for the local LInes. You just show it to the train guard and they let you through the little free pass entrance.

You did say Asakusa, right? As in the section of Tokyo? A few days perhaps, but a month? Hopefully you have other things on the itinerary besides that and Kyoto! JR pass is a very good bargain if you do any traveling. I bought a 1 week pass and went to Nikko and Kamakura from Tokyo, down to Osaka, to Nara, Kyoto, and Himeji, then to Hiroshima and back to Tokyo. Would have been $500-600 for all the train fare. 1 week JR pass? $210 or so.

In Tokyo, there are 3 subway systems (2 or 3). The one with the most coverage is the Metro, and you can get a day pass for around 700-800 yen. Considering a single fare is around 160 yen for the shortest distance, you can see the value. There is a combo pass with the other subways for a few hundred yen more.

From what I can see, the longest JR Railpass is 21 days, which will cost around 57,700 yen. The pass starts the day you turn in your voucher (that you bought at home) for the pass in Japan. Unless you plan on taking bullet trains all around and use JR trains a lot, it would not be worth having.

You did say Asakusa, right? As in the section of Tokyo? A few days perhaps, but a month? Hopefully you have other things on the itinerary besides that and Kyoto!
I was thinking the same thing; what on earth would one do for an entire month in Asakusa. Unless they meant that they were staying in Asakusa, and would be going all over Tokyo... and even still, a month is a long time to stay in a single city as a tourist.

Rail passes in Tokyo

Hi

you can use the rail pass in Tokyo on the overland lines owned by JR. This includes the yamanote and Chuo lines, both of which will get you around the main areas. If you site yourself well, then you really don't need the subway (very often). it can also be used on JR busses and ferries elsewhere.

The pass is only worth it if you are going to be travelling a fair bit. My advice is to look up the price of tickets and work out how much you would pay for them. Make sure you factor in the handiness of the pass (don't have to reserve seats and can just roll up on most trains).

Amos

Back
Top Bottom