What's new

Travel Ishikawa Kanazawa Higashi Chaya - 東茶屋街

TSV

後輩
20 Jan 2015
Hi everyone, been a while since I did not post one of our videos here. Anyway this morning we pushed a small video we made last summer (Yeah actually we have 18 months worth of footage to release) of Kanazawa Higashi Chaya. I would strongly advise you to visit the place in spring rather in the summer, but regardless of the season Higashi Chaya is definitively amazing, enjoy!

Nothing like watching a summer vid in winter. :D

Nice one, thanks for sharing! Forgive me if it's been asked before, but what editing software do you use?

Nothing like watching a summer vid in winter. :D

Nice one, thanks for sharing! Forgive me if it's been asked before, but what editing software do you use?

Final Cut Pro X on a MacPro. And thank you!

@TSV I wonder--you are capturing a few faces (not many, but some). Are you concerned about that?

As much as anyone who ever posted a video/photo on the internet. Technically everyone on every single videos can ask the video(s) to be taken down, this can go as far as the videos that are showed on TV.

Now, the difference between acceptable or not (I am not a lawyer), is that here, and like pretty much all videos on the web is that there are no close-up of people for a very long time and you do not stalk them (follow them). In my case I try as much as possible to go with the flow, basically you see more people going away from me (their back) than the opposite.

Finally, shooting video of a place without anyone is impossible so unless you are not a creepy stalker you should be fine.

((Also, you might consider some pans or tracking shots. For a cheap steadicam mount your camera on a 2x4, one person on each end. Longer is steadier, but it depends on where you are.))

((Also, you might consider some pans or tracking shots. For a cheap steadicam mount your camera on a 2x4, one person on each end. Longer is steadier, but it depends on where you are.))

Thanks for the advise, I have actually a few years of photography and video making behind me (been Journalist since 2002, and even received an award along side Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs for my work in the Tech world)

Movement are limited for a very simple purpose, these are contemplative videos (The whole concept) where one person seat in the middle of street and see the world unfold in front of her/him.

Now we do have a few videos with movements (here you are an example ) we also have sliders and so on, but we also like to travel light and the more gear you have the more annoying you are for the others and the less you are accepted by temples and so on... So depending of the place, time and so on we use them, but not always.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about exterior shots, but from what you say, you'd do indoors in an Ozu-esque way?

Cool!

Thanks for the advise, I have actually a few years of photography and video making behind me (been Journalist since 2002, and even received an award along side Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs for my work in the Tech world)

Movement are limited for a very simple purpose, these are contemplative videos (The whole concept) where one person seat in the middle of street and see the world unfold in front of her/him.

Now we do have a few videos with movements (here you are an example ) we also have sliders and so on, but we also like to travel light and the more gear you have the more annoying you are for the others and the less you are accepted by temples and so on... So depending of the place, time and so on we use them, but not always.

Yes, and just my opinion, but higashiyama would have been better displayed with (would have merited) that kind of camera movement.

Yes, and just my opinion, but higashiyama would have been better displayed with (would have merited) that kind of camera movement.

I agree and I will maybe take another shot at this place at some point... It is just that, most of the time (99%) I am alone and carrying everything is technically impossible.

Now, the difference between acceptable or not (I am not a lawyer), is that here, and like pretty much all videos on the web is that there are no close-up of people for a very long time and you do not stalk them (follow them). In my case I try as much as possible to go with the flow, basically you see more people going away from me (their back) than the opposite.
At least in the U.S. if the videos are in a public place and if they are not being used for commercial purposes you are pretty much safe. If you take the same video and make a commercial out of it, that's when you need to be careful. Not sure about the laws in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom