What's new

Is this a compliment?

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
I asked a guy if my Japanese was OK, this is what he said:

"ラインナップが充実すればいいんですけどねぇ" I know it has something to do with 'fullness." 'completletion' 'lineup' but cannot makea ny more out. Anyone able to offer some tips? I want to know if its a compliment

Edited; It appears as this group of japanese people is ignoring me as well. It sounds all too well about the Xbox360 or game system.

However, this comment is interesting:
"変な日本語・・"

Strange japanese, I wonder why..maybe i will become better so they dont leave as soon as they find out im a foreigner. cheap people

Or maybe they are talking about the Japanese in the System. Unless your name is directed in the comment I wouldn't sweat it so much. You don't have to try hard to impress other people. In time your japanese will be good enough to where ti won't matter what forum your talking in. Just have (Patience) my friend!

A lot of Japanese people also feel embarrassed if they can't communicate with someone and worry about possibly having to speak English -- basically they're not used to interacting with foreigners, especially strangers online. As long as you don't tell them you think your Japanese is better than their English :p and keep practicing like Damicci suggested you'll be alright in the long run. Don't worry about impressing people you don't know or have no respect for. 😌

Maybe a name since san is following it. Not sure is that the full sentence or is there more?

GoldCoinLover said:
Thank you. Do you know what kentsuさんいる is by the way? Never heard of kentsu
I think it's a name written usually in hiragana or katakana (not kanji ?) 'けんつ is here' would be the translation. If it were a company named kentsu it would be 'aru.' :).

Elizabeth said:
I think it's a name written usually in hiragana or katakana (not kanji ?) 'けんつ is here' would be the translation. If it were a company named kentsu it would be 'aru.' :).

I wondered about the iru, was going to go into about dropping particles in written formats but I didn't want to get in over my head. plus I don't know if kentsu is a word. :p

The translation that you gave me elizabeth is very handy (excite) however for awhile I thought they actually understood me from using it. Alas, this isn't the case at all. They were completly confused. Heh. They begged me to leave "When you're here, we cannot speak. You confuse us"

Since you're being ignored, why assume that the next line after your own comment in a chat has anything to do with you at all?

GoldCoinLover said:
The translation that you gave me elizabeth is very handy (excite) however for awhile I thought they actually understood me from using it. Alas, this isn't the case at all. They were completly confused. Heh. They begged me to leave "When you're here, we cannot speak. You confuse us"

Just between friends here, Kevin, but you sometimes have a way of annoying people. You know this from other places as well.

Might it not be a good idea to leave? It's not very polite to stay when you've been asked to leave.

You can always find another chat room.

It's hard to tell when they want me to leave or not. Sometimes they say that but its a misunderstanding

There are like 4 game chat rooms, and only 1 of them has people in it. Unless Im missing something.

Everyone look at this, this is hilarious!

あなたが今いるルームは:クリスマス:1
トピック: どうやってすごすかな。

iamgaijinamerika さんが入室しました。

YahooChatAdministrator: Yahoo!チャットをご利用の皆様へ:わいせつ画像の公開や著作権を侵害する行為については、刑事告発を視野に入れ、証拠の収集を開始致します。詳細は

baliusno1: うんうん

takatakako_5: 24日は草津温泉に日帰りでホワイトクリスマス!?

iamgaijinamerika: こん

baliusno1: ここここんんn>キタ人

takatakako_5: こん>iamgaijinamerikaさん

baliusno1: なんて呼ぶの?

takatakako_5: 私も教えて欲しいです、なんて呼ぶの?

baliusno1: 慰安外人アメリカ?

takatakako_5: アメリカ好きですか?

GoldCoinLover said:
Yeah, please put whatever you're concerned about through the translator first only then if it's something related to anything in a PM or post it here. No one has the time to sift through and reply back morsel by out of sequence morsel.
This should help in your overall study habits as well. 😌

If you need a human to verify this "When you're here, we cannot speak. You confuse us" or whatever it was about a misunderstanding please post them in full in the order they happened. Post is more convenient than PM for me right now, by the way.

So that whole 1 Corinthians thing just sort of blew right on by....I knew it would.

GoldCoinLover said:
Elizabeth-san, would you mind verifiying what they said? Im pretty sure its about me..
If you post it here and it isn't too long and after I finish exercising
I'll be glad to try.

As an aside, what you just did above doesn't violate any privacy policies again
does it ? :?

Damicci said:
I wondered about the iru, was going to go into about dropping particles in written formats but I didn't want to get in over my head. plus I don't know if kentsu is a word. :p
I may be a little old-fashioned, I'm not sure about that. I can't even tell the sex absolutely although it has all the indications of a guy. :p

As far as the written/spoken thing, I was actually surprised how many of the ones he posted have all the particles intact, desu/masu, 'no deshou' etc. usages since chatting would be expected to be closer to speaking...😌

mikecash said:
So that whole 1 Corinthians thing just sort of blew right on by....I knew it would.

Mikecash: I looked up the reference on the internet. And I laughed... [insert appropriate appreciative smilies here...]

hebiichigo said:
... Maybe if you intend to keep going to these rooms you should change your screen name 😌
I second this, though I really think that he should just give up on these chat rooms until he learns more Japanese.

And GoldCoinLover, you should really consider for a second how you are coming off to these people in the chat rooms. Try to imagine the reverse situation -- people are talking in an English-language chatroom about the Xbox 360 launch (or what have you), and a random Japanese person comes in and starts practicing his near-nonexistent English vocabulary.

gamer4life: yeah, so i think the launch games are pretty decent, but i was hoping for more rpgs
mario365: just give it time, there are a bunch of third party developers with rpgs in the works
>>IAMJAPANPEOPLE has joined the channel
IAMJAPANPEOPLE: hello i am japanese
IAMJAPANPEOPLE: my english understand?
gamer4life: yeah, i know. i'm just sick of all these sports games
IAMJAPANPEOPLE: i am japanese
mario365: i saw a preview of some japanese shooting game... looks kind of strange but interesting
gamer4life: oh really?
IAMJAPANPEOPLE: you like the game?
mario365: the game? what game?
mario365: what is this dude going on about?
gamer4life: beats the hell out of me
IAMJAPANPEOPLE: study japanese!!!!!
>>IAMJAPANPEOPLE has left the channel

Now imagine that this person goes back to a Japanese-language message board and tells all his friends how some gaijin in an English chatroom said that Japanese people and their broken English made him "sick", and how Japanese people are "strange" and he wants to "shoot" them. And they talk about "beating" people and "hell" -- Americans are so violent and scary!!!

Now, wouldn't that be a rather silly thing to do?

GoldCoinLover, the question that you have to ask yourself is... do you want to be like that, or do you actually want to LEARN THE LANGUAGE so that you can have a real, meaningful conversation about video games with Japanese gamers? The choice is all yours.

GoldCoinLover said:
I don't read the bible, and I don't even know how to look it up.

I'm an Atheist and I managed to find it online....

I posted it for you in another thread. Not that I could expect you to focus on one thing long enough to notice it or anything.

Back
Top Bottom