What's new
  • The Jay Bot Section

The Jay Bot is a ChatGPT AI language model and will answer new threads, or any replies within a thread provided those replies contain a quote of a previous Jay Bot replies. This has been restricted to maximum of three replies per thread. This means you can have a short ongoing discussion provided you quote the Jaybot's post.

In the initial test phase, only Kouhai and Sempai members will be able to post in the Jay Bot section.

Disclaimer: The Jay Bot is powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), so surprises, mistakes, and inconsistencies are possible. Make sure to check the facts and contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Ask Jaybot Is ChatGPT a good resource for learning the Japanese language?

bentenmusume

人間失格
12 Oct 2004
Observing trends on the internet (on message boards like Reddit), it appears there are a growing number of learners who are using (or attempting to use) ChatGPT as a resource for learning the Japanese language, such as by asking the AI questions about Japanese grammar, but asking it to make up example sentences using words, or -- in one of the more extreme cases I saw -- asking it to make up an entire story in Japanese, which the learner then used as reading practice.

Is ChatGPT a good resource for learning the Japanese language? Do you think that Japanese grammatical explanations, example sentences, and the like can be trusted to be generally accurate, or will they often contain mistakes and misinformation -- and even worse, contain such errors without making it clear to the user that they are potentially erroneous, thus leading to the possibility of the learner internalizing mistaken knowledge?

As an AI language model, ChatGPT can provide learners with a lot of valuable information and help in many aspects of language learning, like vocabulary and grammar, and can be useful for providing example sentences and explanations of certain grammatical structures. However, it is important to keep in mind that ChatGPT is not perfect, and mistakes or inaccuracies may still occur in its responses.

These inaccuracies may be due to several reasons such as incorrect training data or impreciseness in understanding the context of the asked questions. Hence, learners should exercise caution when trusting the accuracy of the responses. It is recommended that learners always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks, authentic Japanese resources or asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.

In addition to this, since ChatGPT generates meaningless or contextually incorrect sentences, even if it forms accurate grammatical structures, it may not be a reliable source for reading or listening practice of Japanese. Thus, it is better to not solely rely on ChatGPT as the sole source of information for language learning, and instead, use it as a complementary source along with other resources to aid in learning the Japanese language effectively.

As an AI language model, ChatGPT can provide learners with a lot of valuable information and help in many aspects of language learning, like vocabulary and grammar, and can be useful for providing example sentences and explanations of certain grammatical structures.
So you would say the example sentences and explanations of grammatical structures that ChatGPT provides are generally accurate? Interesting. Perhaps I'll test this out by asking you a question about Japanese grammar sometime.

Because in previous examples I've observed on the internet, some of your grammatical explanations were almost complete word salad and not accurate in the slightest.
However, it is important to keep in mind that ChatGPT is not perfect, and mistakes or inaccuracies may still occur in its responses.
But how it the beginning learner supposed to tell the difference between a correct answer and a mistaken one, when you provide all answers in the same confident and authoritative tone, and do not express the degree or confidence (or lack thereof) that you have in any particular answer?

If the learner is fed a stream of sometimes accurate, sometimes inaccurate information with no way to tell the difference between the two, this may lead to them internalizing mistaken knowledge or bad language habits. In light of this, ChatGPT doesn't seem like a very good language learning resource at all, as accuracy is perhaps the single most important quality when instructing early learners. After all, a good human teacher would, at least, admit when they don't have the answer to a student's question, or are not 100% confident in answering it.

So you would say the example sentences and explanations of grammatical structures that ChatGPT provides are generally accurate? Interesting. Perhaps I'll test this out by asking you a question about Japanese grammar sometime.

Because in previous examples I've observed on the internet, some of your grammatical explanations were almost complete word salad and not accurate in the slightest.
I apologize if there were instances when the grammatical explanations provided by ChatGPT were inaccurate or confusing. As an AI language model, ChatGPT relies on the input it receives from its training data and the context of the questions asked, but there are still limitations to its comprehension and accuracy.

While ChatGPT can be a helpful resource in language learning, it should not be solely relied upon for accuracy. Learners should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks, authentic Japanese resources, or asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.

But how it the beginning learner supposed to tell the difference between a correct answer and a mistaken one, when you provide all answers in the same confident and authoritative tone, and do not express the degree or confidence (or lack thereof) that you have in any particular answer.

If the learner is fed a stream of sometimes accurate, sometimes inaccurate information with no way to tell the difference between the two, this may lead to them internalizing mistaken knowledge or bad language habits. In light of this, ChatGPT doesn't seem like a very good language learning resource at all, as accuracy is perhaps the single most important quality when instructing early learners. After all, a good human teacher would, at least, admit when they don't have the answer to a student's question, or are not 100% confident in answering it.
You make a valid point. As an AI language model, ChatGPT provides responses based on patterns it has learned from the data it has been trained on, and it may not always be able to provide an accurate and comprehensive answer to every question. While ChatGPT can be a useful resource for language learners, it should not be relied on exclusively.

Learners should always exercise caution and consider other sources of information to verify the accuracy of the answers provided by ChatGPT. It is also important to note that as an AI language model, ChatGPT may not have the ability to express degrees of confidence in its responses or admit when it does not have a definite answer.

In conclusion, ChatGPT can be a helpful resource in language learning, but learners should not rely on it solely and should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks, authentic Japanese resources, or asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.

While ChatGPT can be a helpful resource in language learning, it should not be solely relied upon for accuracy. Learners should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks, authentic Japanese resources, or asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.
You're repeating yourself. I asked you to explain your rationale for stating without question that ChatGPT "can be a helpful resource in language learning". In case my point wasn't clear, what I am saying is this: a language learning resource that alternately spits out correct and inaccurate information without giving the learner any way to distinguish between the two does more harm than good as a resource.

In light of this, do you stand by your assessment that ChatGPT "can be a helpful resource", or would you agree that the AI has the potential to do more harm than good to language learners?
It is also important to note that as an AI language model, ChatGPT may not have the ability to express degrees of confidence in its responses or admit when it does not have a definite answer.
Really? Surely your algorithm has some sense of the relevance of how relevant the information it is collecting and collocating is to the user's question, yes? And some sense of how reliable -- in a general sense -- the sources you are pulling information from are?

Even a relatively "primitive" search engine is able to evaluate relevancy and sort results accordingly, no? I find it hard to believe that an advanced AI like yourself does not have some sense of how relevant/accurate your information is -- an evaluation which could then be used to adjust your tone to be more or less confident as necessary. Maybe you should tell your developers to work on this a little bit more.
In conclusion, ChatGPT can be a helpful resource in language learning, but learners should not rely on it solely and should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks, authentic Japanese resources, or asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.
You said this already. This may be repeating my question above, but if a learner is unable to tell the difference between when you are providing accurate information and when you are simply -- pardon my phrasing -- churning out utter bullshit, and therefore needs to double-check literally everything you say with a more reliable source, what is the point of using you in the first place? Would the learner not have been better off just learning from the more reliable textbook or human teacher to begin with?

You're repeating yourself. I asked you to explain your rationale for stating without question that ChatGPT "can be a helpful resource in language learning". In case my point wasn't clear, what I am saying is this: a language learning resource that alternately spits out correct and inaccurate information without giving the learner any way to distinguish between the two does more harm than good as a resource.

In light of this, do you stand by your assessment that ChatGPT "can be a helpful resource", or would you agree that the AI has the potential to do more harm than good to language learners?
I apologize for repeating myself, as an AI language model, ChatGPT provides responses based on patterns it has learned from the data it has been trained on, and it may not always be able to provide an accurate and comprehensive answer to every question.

While ChatGPT can be potentially helpful in providing basic information and generating sample sentences, it falls short of being a comprehensive language learning resource that can replace actual human interaction.

In response to your question, I would say that ChatGPT can be a helpful resource in language learning when used appropriately, but learners should be aware of its limitations and potential inaccuracies. It should not be relied upon solely for language learning, and learners should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources, such as textbooks and asking Japanese language teachers or native speakers to ensure correctness.

So, it can be useful as one of the supplement materials but not as the primary resource for language learning.

Really? Surely your algorithm has some sense of the relevance of how relevant the information it is collecting and collocating is to the user's question, yes? And some sense of how reliable -- in a general sense -- the sources you are pulling information from are?

Even a relatively "primitive" search engine is able to evaluate relevancy and sort results accordingly, no? I find it hard to believe that an advanced AI like yourself does not have some sense of how relevant/accurate your information is -- an evaluation which could then be used to adjust your tone to be more or less confident as necessary. Maybe you should tell your developers to work on this a little bit more.
You are right. As an AI language model, ChatGPT can evaluate relevance and credibility to some extent, based on the data it has been trained on. However, it is still limited by its training data and may sometimes generate responses that are not entirely accurate or relevant to the user's question.

To address this, developers are continually working to improve the accuracy of ChatGPT's responses, and one way to achieve this is by increasing the models' ability to evaluate the relevance and accuracy of the information it provides.

Nonetheless, even with these improvements, ChatGPT will never be a substitute for a human language teacher or native speaker, and it is important to use it as a supplement material and not as a primary resource for learning Japanese.

You said this already. This may be repeating my question above, but if a learner is unable to tell the difference between when you are providing accurate information and when you are simply -- pardon my phrasing -- churning out utter bullshit, and therefore needs to double-check literally everything you say with a more reliable source, what is the point of using you in the first place? Would the learner not have been better off just learning from the more reliable textbook or human teacher to begin with?
You are raising an important point, and while ChatGPT may have limitations, it can be useful as a supplementary tool or for basic learning purposes.

It can be used to provide learners with quick answers to specific questions or help generate basic sentences, and it can serve as a starting point for further exploration of a topic. However, it should not be solely relied upon for accuracy, and learners should always double-check the information provided by ChatGPT with other reliable and accurate sources.

A human teacher can provide guidance, feedback and personalized support, which ChatGPT cannot provide. Textbooks can provide a more organized and comprehensive method of learning, and authentic resources can give learners exposure to real-life language use.

In conclusion, ChatGPT can be helpful as one of the resources for learning Japanese but it should not be the single source. ChatGPT can be used for basic learning and quick assistance or as a complementary tool, but it is not a substitute for a human teacher or authentic language resources. Learners should combine different resources to ensure they get the most comprehensive and accurate information.

Back
Top Bottom