What's new

Internet access in Japan

thesuker

先輩
20 May 2014
Hi,
I'm travelling to Japan next month and I'm interested in either purchasing some kind of internet access device for my mobile phone or a 2 week subscription to some internet provider that offers large-scale internet WIFI access. Could anybody tell me what options I have? I'd like something not too expensive, I basically want it for Google Maps and messaging my family now and then.

WiFi "eggs" (at least that's what they call the pocket wifi in Korea) seem to be quite popular now. Back in the day i used a data sim from B-Mobile and didn't have any complaints. This time I picked up a data sim from so-net (at a BIC or Yodobashi Camera) and although the service is great, the data is limited and refills are frustratingly expensive (¥5,000 for the first 3GB, but the refills are only up to 1GB@¥3,000, so it adds up fast). Seems that the pocket wifi are the way to go, especially if you want to connect with multiple devices.

I just booked an AirBnB for my family to use on their visit and the host included a pocket wifi device with the already quite reasonable rent. I think @nice gaijin is right, pocket wifi has become the way to go.

yes, I have several friends who have recently reported the same thing, it seems like a very common thing for airbnb hosts in Japan now; it's convenient for the guests as they can carry the wifi around with them, and it's cheaper than setting up a hard line to the place.

Back
Top Bottom