What's new

Interested in living in Japan, questions

RHotta

後輩
1 Aug 2009
Hello all,
I just found this and have been thinking of moving to Japan for the past couple years.

*After reading this you may think my questions or choice is stupid but I know that already and any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.*

I am interested in-
1. going to Japan
2. living there
3. working OR going to school (preferably school)

Now here's everything about me-
- 20 year old male
- born to Japanese national in Japan (Iwakuni) and then adopted by US Naval Officer
- I didn't officially have US citizen ship until about 5 years ago but I have completed 12 years of school (high school graduate) and some college.
- I can get Japanese citizenship; however, I believe I have to give up my US citizenship, I'm not sure

Now, I've completed I guess what would be a little more than the 1st year in college. I have been in and out and right now I am appealing to stay in. My grades aren't great but after learning about the grading system in Japan, I would have basically A's, B's, and a lot of C's. This past January a Japanese graduate student (visiting scholar) came to my college and I got to know her and we all know what happened next. I've greatly improved her English speaking proficiency since she's been with me and I've pick up some basic Japanese (because at first she could barely speak english) but I have no formal knowledge of the Japanese language.

If any of you can point me towards some information about going to school in Japan please let me know. I tried to contact Waseda University in Tokyo but they haven't replied back.

The problem with me is I have no major interest in any field and I haven't performed as well as I can. I received very, very good marks in high school, a private school, and was involved in clubs and did exceedingly well in all of the sports I competed in. Everything just seemed to fall apart when I went to college, not from partying or anything but from moderate to severe depression and anxiety. I am an extremely fast learn and am self taught in many things. I can pick up any trade. I am not trying to sell myself, this is all true and documented.

And getting a place to stay wouldn't be a problem... at least for a couple months.
Also, I will look through the forum and try to find a more appropriate place to post this, but I am interested in locating my birth mother. I know this is not a very good idea, would take a lot of effort and time, but I just need to meet her. I don't care what happens after that. I just need to know, it always sits on my mind. If anyone can tell me how/where to start looking, please let me know.

Respectfully,

Lance

If you have a problem with depression/anxiety then you really need to address that and get it under control before you come to Japan. Many people think that the radical change involved in moving to a totally different environment will remove the stresses/triggers and make their troubles go away. But what is far more likely is that you end up replacing one set for another, making the problem worse, and have the added problem of being swallowed up in a foreign environment either with no help available or no idea how to access it.

Changing environments to a school in Japan won't somehow magically turn you into a diligent scholar; if you've slacked off in the US (for whatever reason) chances are you'll do the same here. One could argue that the added stresses you would find here would be likely to make you even less stellar a student.

Thank you for your reply.

I have for the most part addressed my psychological problems, but there are still some things there that need to be fixed. It can't get any worse than it was a couple years ago.

There really isn't anything for me here in the US, aside from the familiarity with everything. I've always wanted to travel and these past months I've taken the time to travel around the US, nothing spectacular but it's really started to open me up for the better.

I understand what your saying. That's why I said in the begin that this might not be a good idea, but I need to deal with it. Besides I won't be alone and I can make friends easily.

And as far as school goes, classes in Japan are the same if not easier than classes I have been exposed to here in the US. The grading scale is also easier. I'm just basing that on what I've been told from Japanese exchange students here at my college.

Back
Top Bottom