What's new

In Japan for the summer

24 Jan 2007
HI! i'm going to Japan this summer for the first time and i was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to stay for a month, excluding the plane ticket and accomodations. Like how much would one spend a day for food, transportation (subways), etc? sorry, it's kinda vague, but a ballpark estimate would be really helpful! :)

Japan is a big place. I can be in a city with mass transportation (Osaka, Tokyo, etc) and spend a fair amount on daily mass transit, or be in a small town with mostly walking. If the former, you can get a day pass for the subway for $8-10 or so. Stay away from taxis as they'll eat your money up. Single trips on trains/subways are $1 up depending on distance. Meals? You can find cheap meals for $4-$7 for lunch/dinner. Breakfast can be a trip to the bakery for $2-$5. If you utilize grocery stores, you can save a little. Go near the store closing and you'll often find food prepared that day at 30-50% off.

Travel guides usually cite 8000-10,000 yen/day including accommodations and transportation. Cut that in half and go with the remainder for expenses (of the most general rough estimate, mind you) per day if you have travel and lodging already taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom