What's new

Imari porcelain symbols (meiji?)

bostonbees

Registered
22 Mar 2014
Picked up a bunch of plates and bowls recently and having issues identifying markings. I have scoured the internet trying to find a match for any of these markings and have had zero luck. I have looked through the gotheborg.com index of Japanese porcelain markings but found nothing. Any info anyone has would be most appreciated!

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 148
竒玉宝鼎之珍[kigyoku hōtei no chin] is a signature of Imari porcelain in the early or middle Edo period. The first kanji in the right vertical line should be 奇, and the first kanji in the left line is incorrect, but it's not so uncommon that these signatures have wrong kanji because potters of that time didn't have sufficient knowledge of kanji.

Which translates to - "rare precious treasure", no? Also the information you have just provided me shows that I have been staring at the answer to my own question for the last few weeks and been none the wiser. *sigh* ..I'll chalk it up as the "incorrect" kanji throwing me off. I have recently started collecting Imari porcelain over the last couple months and still learning some things. I am extremely grateful for your input!!

Roughly, yes.

The same signature was also used in so-called 大聖寺伊万里[Daishōji Imari] that was made in Kaga Province from the early Meiji to late Taishō period. Thus, the one you have can be not a genuine old Imari.

I found an explanation about the difference in the shapes of 高台[kōdai] between these two porcelains in a site, though all in Japanese.
(The left one is Daishōji Imari, and the right is genuine Imari.)
2u8b3gy-1.jpg

Sadly, I can't even pretend to know precisely what that diagram is describing. However, my basic knowledge tells me that the 高台[kōdai] on my piece in question distinctly matches the version on the left half of the diagram. This is my only piece (for now) which has been signed with more than one kanji, and also my only piece that corresponds to the 大聖寺伊万里[Daishōji Imari] half of the diagram you posted. It's also one of the more "attractive" plates I have picked up so far. Every other piece I have appears to match up with the illustration on the right side. You have been most courteous and informative, for which I am very thankful sir.

Back
Top Bottom