What's new

How hard is it to get into Sophia's FLA?

15 Dec 2008
Hello there!

Next year I'll be heading off to college, and my first choice is Sophia. I'm wondering, though, how hard it is to get into the FLA? I haven't found anything online about acceptance rates... I know that yearly they take only about 130 people, but I don't know how many people usually apply, so I'm not sure if I should be terribly worried and seriously looking at safety schools (I have one anyhow, but I'm hoping I won't need to go there), or is there possibly a decent chance?

Thank you very much for your help :)

I'm not sure what the SAT ratings are, but I believe Sophia University's Faculty of Liberal Arts is relatively easy to enter if you can be easily admitted at a local college in your region in the US.

Since it's a small school, they may screen applicants based on the SAT scores and high school grades if the capacity is filled, though... 😌

BTW, the Japanese name for Sophia U is "Jochi" and not "uechi."

oops my kanji reading aint good :)ツ湘」窶冫窶佚・ナ?w
i heard they have lessons taught in english too

Ah alright, thank you! That's comforting, in a way.
Maybe if I'm lucky they won't be screening based on SAT scores, haha. Mine aren't awful, but I'm sure there are folks applying with much better scores than mine.
Oh well, thank you very much for the information, Epigene!

hey u applying for sophia? im going to apply for it this year as a 帰国子女. maybe we can meet in japan :) and u are malayian too? are u in malaysia now?

I am indeed! I'm supposed to hear back from them around this time next month, so we'll see! If I don't get into Sophia though I'll be in Tokyo anyway, just going to TUJ.
And I'm not, I'm from the US.
But yes! If we both make it that'd be really nice! It'd be helpful knowing at least one person there :)

anothermonster: I graduated from Sophia University's kokusai gakubun some 27 years ago. When I wanted to apply the requirement was SAT scores or college transcripts. My SAT scores probably would not have made me eligible as I did not apply myself when I was younger but, while I was in the service in Japan, I took a years course at the University of Maryland's extension on the base in the Japanese language and those few credits that I earned enabled me to get into Sophia university as they were acceptable and transferable.

Whether this helps or not or is even applicable today, I do not know, but if you took any course at any university and have the credits it may enable you to enter. Just a thought and good luck.

Hi,
I'm going to apply for Sophia's April 2010
i just want to know that, do i have the change to be accepted?
my grade is good enough?
I feel my grade is not good
I'm studying high school in Australia
My grade are below (half yearly report, due to i will graduated in December):
English=75%
Fundamental English=90%
Japanese Beginner=85%
Business Studies=60%
Economics-60%
Mathematic=58%
My TOEFL iBT score = 96

Thank a lot