What's new

How does the JLPT work?

Takatsuki

Registered
4 Jul 2014
I'm going to do the JLPT N5 on the 7th of December and I have no idea of how it works. So here are my doubts:
  • Is it ALL multiple choice?
  • The JLPT will probably be answered with a pen. How do I correct something when doing multiple choice questions?
  • When on the listening comprehension: Will they repeat each question? If so, how many times?
  • I suppose the test will be all in Japanese... I'm not that proficient... how do I know what to do in each part?

They should have sent you some documentation (along with your exam number etc.) explaining some of the details of what you can and can't take in with you.

It is all multiple choice. You will have a question paper, and an answer sheet. The answer sheet will be a multiple choice bubble sheet. Bring a couple of pencils (easier than trying to sharpen something during the exam) and a decent eraser.

You can see example questions here: 日本語能力試験-JLPT/N5
While there is no English, if you know the type of questions you should be okay. The important word or part is normally either underlined or marked with brackets. You should get some practice with the format anyway, if you haven't yet. Knowing the style of the questions will help a lot.

They don't repeat the listening, although in some cases they might repeat the question before and after a conversation. There is often an example question beforehand for each type of listening question to explain the format. You will see this on the answer sheet, e.g. here:
https://www.japanese-edu.org.hk/image/marktheanswer05.gif
The example is the line marked "れい". The correct answer for that line will already be filled in.

with the listening questions, how are they spoken speed wise? Do they talk full speed, or slow it down a bit as if they were talking to a child? Are they more simple short sentences, or lengthy conversations?

Last edited by a moderator:
with the listening questions, how are they spoken speed wise? Do they talk full speed, or slow it down a bit as if they were talking to a child? Are they more simple short sentences, or lengthy conversations?

What level?

Did you read the page nekojita-san provided? You can hear examples of listening comprehension questions of each level in the site.

N5. I did not check that site. Just assumed it was written question examples, my bad. I'll gives it a go.

Edit: PC currently missing a video card, and tablet doesn't care for the site. I'll have to check it out some other time.

I know that this thread about the JLPT test is quite old, but with the way the interest in JLPT is increasing worldwide, this resource about JLPT should be quite helpful because it combines all the details about JLPT levels in a very systematic way.

Back
Top Bottom