What's new

Hokkaido Snow Festival

KalQ

後輩
12 Jun 2006
Hi guys, How is it going with all that cold around .

I'm planing to visit Hokkaido during the snow festival (which I knew about a week ago), so appearntly all the hotels all full during the perido from 5th to 11th (which is the festival time)

so I'm thinking to go there from the 11th till the 14th
would you think I can still catch the ice sculptures and enjoy my time there or it would be quite a dead days ..

suggestions ?
Thanks in advance :)

"the" Snow Festival?

There are many winter festivals in Hokkaido. Look here in the MAIN category, dated Jan.7 for a nice listing and links. JALT Hokkaido

As Hiroyuki pointed out, for safety concerns, the sculptures in Sapporo (the place you seem to be planning to visit) are destroyed the next day.

Thanks Hiroyuki for enlightening me.
hmmm so I guess I have to make it before the 11th, perhaps if I stay a bit out of town.

Glenski, Thanks too as the links you provided (I think it is your blog)
It was really useful and provided new listing for new places to check in Hokkaido other than Sapporo.

Will, if I make it, I'll post my experience here.

Thanks Hiroyuki for enlightening me.
hmmm so I guess I have to make it before the 11th, perhaps if I stay a bit out of town.

Glenski, Thanks too as the links you provided (I think it is your blog)
It was really useful and provided new listing for new places to check in Hokkaido other than Sapporo.

Will, if I make it, I'll post my experience here.

Yes, please, and if possible, with some fotos! 🙂

You should be able to find reasonable accomodations around Shin-Sapporo, Ebetsu-Shi, etc. This puts you only about 20-30 minutes away from Odori koen and there are plenty of buses/trains/subways/etc. to commute back and forth. Also, be sure and check out the sculptures at night if you can. The temperature drops considerably but if you can brave the cold, it's worth it. The night illumination is quite beautiful and is a stark contrast to the sculptures when viewed only during the day.

Back
Top Bottom