What's new

Help what does ha mean in this sentence

Caitlin

Registered
12 Mar 2015
" Sochira ha Nani ga iidesu Ka "

What does ha and iidesuka mean in this sentence
The sentence means " what do you want to do?"
Sochira means "you " politely and Nani means "what" but I want to know what ha and iidesuka means

Also... I know iidesuka usually means " is it okay with you ? " in most sentences but does that apply for this sentence or does it mean something else in this sentence

Sochira - indeed indirectly (politely) addresses the person you're talking to. Literally "(the person in) that direction".
ha - grammatical particle which indicates that "sochira" is the topic of the sentence. "Concerning you, ..."
nani - "what"
ga - grammatical particle which indicates that "nani" is the subject of the sentence.
ii - "good"
desu - "is"
ka - grammatical particle that turns the sentence into a question (like a question mark would do).

So a literal translation would be: "For you, what is good?"

"ha" and "ga" are the most basic particles in Japanese. When you start studying, these will be among the very first things that are covered.

What is the difference between topic and subject? My book type thing explained it as the subject indicator
Is topic anything in nominative case?
For example: 「それは私が言ったのです。」
In that sentence それ is the topic, 私 would be the subject.
In other words, それ is what the sentence is about, the topic. 私 is the subject (who "did" the verb 言う (predicate)).

Most western learners of Japanese struggle with wa/ga for quite awhile, but one useful distinction is that 'ga' (が) marks the subject of a verb. 'wa/ha' (は) marks the topic of the sentence (or in complex sentences, the topic of a clause).

These can sometimes be the same thing, and in those cases 'wa/ha' (は) is used where you might expect 'ga' (が) if you expect the subject to -always- be marked with 'ga' (が).

Back
Top Bottom