What's new

haiku in kanji

nyanessa

meh
20 Oct 2005
hi hi ^_^

where can i purchase haiku books that has kanji with english translation instead of romanji with english translation? i'd purchase Japanese Death Poems and unfortunately it doesn't have kanji but romanji instead..

btw, is it possible to translate it word for word from a japanese dictionary? .
any help will be greatly appreciated.

i wanted a haiku tattoo on my back, so i''m trying to research and learn as much as i can... i definitely don't want to mess my tattoo up :eek:

nyanessa said:
hi hi ^_^

where can i purchase haiku books that has kanji with english translation instead of romanji with english translation? i'd purchase Japanese Death Poems and unfortunately it doesn't have kanji but romanji instead..

Romaji (no "n"). Sorry.

I don't know where you could get such a book. The closest thing I know to something like that is "Breaking into Japanese Literature," but it deals with short stories, not poetry. Sorry I can't help you much there.

nyanessa said:
btw, is it possible to translate it word for word from a japanese dictionary? .
any help will be greatly appreciated.

No, it's not possible. Prose would be impossible to translate with just a dictionary and no knowledge of the grammar, much less haiku.

nyanessa said:
i wanted a haiku tattoo on my back, so i''m trying to research and learn as much as i can... i definitely don't want to mess my tattoo up :eek:

That's commendable. I think the best I could do for you would be to tell you to check out medieval Japanese poetry and see if you can find translations in books that deal with that topic, because they could be pretty grim from what I remember. You might want to do a google search of "窶捐窶ケテ・ translations" (you can just copy and paste, as long as the characters are displayed properly). That way you should get Japanese text and English translations of them. Other than that I can't offer much.

Atsumori

was a favorite poem of Oda Nobunaga, though it was not his deathbed poem.

Following site is well-organized about the poem and Oda.
http://uk.geocities.com/rainforestwind/atsumori.htm

ツ人ナ?テ版津慊十窶扼 窶ーツコ窶弖窶堙娯?愿?窶堙ー窶堋ュ窶堙ァ窶堙披?堙ェ窶堙 窶督イナ陳カ窶堙娯?堋イ窶堙??堋ュ窶堙遺?堙ィツ。

Deathbed poems tend to the waka style, 5-7-5-7-7. You can find some poem read by feudal lords' wives.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom