What's new

Govt to boost No. of school counselors

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
I guess it's a good start to help on the bullying part, and the suicide rate. But there are still a lot of other things that need to be done to help lowering these rates, and I don't think that is something that should be done at school, but at the homes.
dgif-1.jpg

Govt to boost No. of school counselors

The Education, Science and Technology Ministry has decided to increase the number of school counselors at primary schools from next academic year as a countermeasure against an increase in child suicides caused by bullying and other problems.

To date, the ministry has mainly assigned school counselors to public middle schools. Seventy-six percent of middle schools boast school counselors, but only seven percent of public primary schools benefit from their expertise.

School counselors include clinical psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and university teachers specializing in psychology. They are dispatched to individual schools about once a week.

Read the whole article

I don't think that is something that should be done at school, but at the homes.

But don't you see it Dutch it is the "home" where action is being taken. The only reason that I can see for kids having to leave their schools anyway is only because the school can't provide a bed for them to sleep in. Heck if the schools had dorms the kids would be there 24/7.

Other than that and the occasional day off, damn near everything else about raising the kids from ES to JHS fall on the schools shoulders as it is.

But don't you see it Dutch it is the "home" where action is being taken. The only reason that I can see for kids having to leave their schools anyway is only because the school can't provide a bed for them to sleep in. Heck if the schools had dorms the kids would be there 24/7.

Other than that and the occasional day off, damn near everything else about raising the kids from ES to JHS fall on the schools shoulders as it is.

I know that, so that's why I say that at their own homes there should be some actions taken. For the god sake of the kids, and for the teachers as well...

I know that, so that's why I say that at their own homes there should be some actions taken. For the god sake of the kids, and for the teachers as well...

I apologize I meant to be sarcastic there as I agree with you as well. The sad part however is the there is very little if anything anyone can do in regards to homelife of many of these kids.

I apologize I meant to be sarcastic there as I agree with you as well. The sad part however is the there is very little if anything anyone can do in regards to homelife of many of these kids.

It really is tragic that such extreme measures have to be taken at the schools. I just wonder how many students take advantage of said "counselors", I know in most american schools, the counselors are mostly for academic reasons, especially in High schools.

I just wonder if such an increase will actually make a difference.

It really is tragic that such extreme measures have to be taken at the schools. I just wonder how many students take advantage of said "counselors", I know in most american schools, the counselors are mostly for academic reasons, especially in High schools.
I just wonder if such an increase will actually make a difference.

Interesting thing is the schools can not "officially" make any student see the counsellors.

The schools need to make counselling mandatory for students that are trouble makers or need special help. Yet as of right now they cant, so even if the school knows a kid needs help they can not by law force the child to see the counsellor.

Take care daddy is home a little bit more a better balance in parent ship.

I guess it's a good start to help on the bullying part, and the suicide rate. But there are still a lot of other things that need to be done to help lowering these rates, and I don't think that is something that should be done at school, but at the homes.

I don't see this helping at all...the counsellors will be spending their time on the ones being bullied...where the ones who need the help are the bullies themselves!

I agree with your other comment that the healing will begin at home, not at the school!

I don't see this helping at all...the counsellors will be spending their time on the ones being bullied...where the ones who need the help are the bullies themselves!

This is what I see (hope), the counssellors will help the kids whom are getting bullied. With their hellp this kids won't give up themselves, and can maybe learn to come up for themselves. I know that's hard with a group of bullies, but let's say 30% can learn to come up for themselves, or learn how to not give up.

With the giving up part, I am talking about becoming Hikikomori, and suicide, etc.

About the bullies, I think Mike cash ones wrote something down about it on his website: Bring the teachers to the class room, do not let them be in the teachers room that many times.

Back
Top Bottom