What's new

Gog & Magog?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
Have you guys heard of these two people that kinda cause havoc in some prophetic stories? What do you guys think about who are these two people?

I think from all 3 major religions in the world, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

I've heard of them, although I would not call them two people. It seems like Gog was a person from Magog, which suggests he was some sort of ruler or royal to have a name so close to the name of his nation.

Later the term Gog and Magog is used to identify various populations, not so much individuals, but then revelations use the term "Gog and Magog" in a difficult to interpret way that most likely is meant to describe populations...

When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the Earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.

That seems to mean that Gog and Magog are the people of the nations. However, when making an apocalyptic film or story it's much more engaging to interpret them as two agents of destruction, that conveniently have no clear definition and can be imagined as pretty much anything. Translations that are better suited to interpreting Gog and Magog as individuals that will lead the charge in the final battle are preferred for this, of course, even such interpretations are linguistic accidents.

I've rarely encountered reference to them outside of fiction where they are almost always a pair of demonic monsters, but then again, I don't spend a lot of time listening to people predicting the end of the world. I'm sure doomsaying preachers have plenty to say about them, most likely equating them to various nations.

:) just a bad joke:

Back
Top Bottom