What's new

Genki for Christmas

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
I'm getting genki for christmas.
how do i know?
my dad ordered it online when i was on the phone with him hahaa.

From what I know, it's genki 1, the workbook, the audio thingy, and the answer book.

sooo thats good!! :p

I just thought I'd let everyone know, cause I'm really excited! ^_^

Lol I can understand you, every time I get my father to order Japanese books I'm like a 7 yo brat myself, the excitement :emoji_grinning:

Yay! I ordered Genki I and the workbook as well a few months ago, it's a great book youll be happy. Oh, you dont need to buy the audio, cuase they have the audio for free online ^__^. But it's good to have something to listen to in the car. I love my genki book, make sure you pretty good at hiragana and katakana, cuase by lesson 3, theres no more romaji.
Good Luck!

Thats the greatness of Ultimate Japanese!!1oneone4
It has teh romaji lal.
Its so much easier to do it steadily, I'd have went nuts with genki I probably.

Yay! I ordered Genki I and the workbook as well a few months ago, it's a great book youll be happy. Oh, you dont need to buy the audio, cuase they have the audio for free online ^__^. But it's good to have something to listen to in the car. I love my genki book, make sure you pretty good at hiragana and katakana, cuase by lesson 3, theres no more romaji.
Good Luck!

I learned both about 2 years ago :'D haha

I've been studying Japanese for about 2 years, but for it being that long, i suck, horribly. Maybe cause I havent gotten the right book and blah blah blah.
So, after a year, i finally got this book i wanted! 👍 And my dad ordered it off ebay, and it came with all 4 things, for really cheap, too. :)

Thats the greatness of Ultimate Japanese!!1oneone4
It has teh romaji lal.
Its so much easier to do it steadily, I'd have went nuts with genki I probably.
I hate romaji. I used ot love it, when i first started learning Japanese. It's really annoying and it's harder to read now then Hiragan and Katakana and Kanji that I know. You should really try NOT to use romaji. it'll mess u up

Last edited:
Mess me up? How would it mess me up? Yeah sure, if you don't use kana anywhere else it will obviously not stick in your memory by itself. But if you know you're using a romaji based book, isn't it damn obvious that you'll hone your kana skills elswhere? If you forget about that walk to a mirror and start blaming the person who first appears in it.

Mess me up? How would it mess me up? Yeah sure, if you don't use kana anywhere else it will obviously not stick in your memory by itself. But if you know you're using a romaji based book, isn't it damn obvious that you'll hone your kana skills elswhere? If you forget about that walk to a mirror and start blaming the person who first appears in it.

I'm just saying you should use kana and kanji almost always. Most people who speak Japanese or whatever, they say it's a good thing that they don't use romaji after chapter 3 (in genki)

I agree, the sooner you start using kana in stead of romaji, the easier it is to learn real japanese, becuase many intermediate and advance text books don't have romaji in them, just kana and kanji. Using kana instead of romaji is great,and better for you if you want to become an advance speaker.

I'm just saying you should use kana and kanji almost always. Most people who speak Japanese or whatever, they say it's a good thing that they don't use romaji after chapter 3 (in genki)
Yes, I'm currently in chapter 2 of genki I, and I already have hiragana down, now, I need to work alot more on katakana, becuase I'm not as confortable with it as I need to be.😌

Last edited:
Genki is a great textbook to use and the workbook is great for review. Sounds like someone will be having a merry christmas ^^

About the kana/kanji Vs. romaji, I would agree that pulling away from romaji as soon as possible is helpful considering you will rarely use it the farther up the tree you go. Though I suppose if it works for you then run with it.

I heard from a friend, who has a friend, who heard something like someone somewhere in Siberia saw a bear that had a fairy on its head that said romaji is bad for you.
Now if you use your brains, and think just a bit you will realize that im not telling you not to learn kana, and use only romaji. But whether you learn kana in the first two weeks, or over a two months period, is the same. This matter bears exactly 0, if not less significance. The thing that matters when learning a language to understand the spoken language first, and the second is the written.
Now, if you study using romaji you will advance faster with grammar and such, and you will learn kana sooner or later. So where is the loss you're all afraid of?

It's not that I'm afraid of anything, but I think that if you want to take in as much Japanese as possible, you won't wait till the last minute to learn kana. Also, if you learn using romaji for a long time, and keep putting off kana, it will be even harder to learn and get used to reading and using kana(and many other learners will agree with me on this).
But again, many people learn different way, one way that might work well for you, might not work well for me. This all ties in as well tot he individual person, everyone's different, and your brain and memory differs in comparision to mine.

I personally try not to use my brain, since it causes so much pain.

I don't see why you are taking someone elses point of view on learning the basics of the Japanese language so negatively and aggressively. All I was pointing out, as well as the posts above my own was that using a system of the written language which is not used anywhere other then in English - Japanese textbooks (that I know of) is basically another step in the learning curve which is unnecessary. Sure you say you are learning kana and kanji as well, but why not just use these methods and these methods alone? At some point your going to need to start reading and writing using the Japanese written system, so why not start to use it right from the beginning?

Also you mentioned that to learn a language, you must first learn the spoken then the written. Definitely not something I would recommend considering both the written and spoken go hand in hand. So if you know kana you will be able to advance through grammar and such as you stated equally as fast and efficient if you didn't.

Sorry if my reply seems heated but it is irritating when someone insults you for no reason other then having their own opinion.

if you study using romaji you will advance faster with grammar and such,

Isn't that obvious? Less time spent on kana means more time spent on grammar.
When you are learning a language, it is teh boooredom to do nothing but study their writing, or something purely lexical like that.
No matter how you struggle to prove that using romaji is bad, because honestly, if you're going to learn the language it matters little whether you learn kana fast, or over a couple of weeks. So, if its all the same, and there's no difference, why not walk the easier path?
Btw I did not insult you, not personally that is. I simply criticized the "romaji is teh evul" belief which is almost like a superstition.
By use your brains I meant that, indeed, it wouldn't be bad if you thought it over again, because it makes no sense that romaji would do any harm.

Good Luck!

I in fact didn't get the audio and answerr book, but i have the textbook & workbook now! I'm so happy!
Where can you find the audio, though? 👍

No matter how you struggle to prove that using romaji is bad, because honestly, if you're going to learn the language it matters little whether you learn kana fast, or over a couple of weeks. So, if its all the same, and there's no difference, why not walk the easier path?

(...)

By use your brains I meant that, indeed, it wouldn't be bad if you thought it over again, because it makes no sense that romaji would do any harm.
I'm afraid you are wrong. Sorry.

Japanese have a huge number of homophones, meaning that several words will have the same sounds and thus seeming the same when written with romaji. This can be really harmful when one acquires vocabulary without learning the corresponding kanji. Also the easier path to acquire vocabulary would be to read Japanese and you won't find much if you just stick with romaji.

My opinion is to avoid romaji from the very beginning. Kana and kanji are very interesting and fun to learn anyway. :)

@Tomii515:
Good to see you are still around and congrats on that book. I'm using it for Japanese classes and I think it is great! I would advice you to get the answer book though. I personally don't have it, but that's because I can pester my sensei each and every time I've doubts. :p

Back
Top Bottom