What's new

Geisha Beautiful?

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
do you think the geisha is beautifull?
and what do you think is most beautifull about them??

geisha4-1.jpg
obi-1.jpg

geisha2-1.jpg

Pseudo20Geisha-1.jpg

i love the way they have there hair. and the white on the face...

What fascinates me about geisha is not their beauty, per se, but the mystery that surrounds them, I guess. I do think the most beautiful thing about them is their furisode, though.

I went to Eigamura and three very old gaishas surrounded me and insisted that I take a picture with them. They were kind of scary. They looked like old drag queens. But I've seen other gaishas who'd make you melt like a stick of butter.

There is a Japanese word "miyabi" which means grace, elegance or refined, that is used to discribe Geisha who carry the word aound them. They are trained how to dance, play traditional musical instruments since when they are little, and their confidence makes them attractive.

The makeup and kimono make them almost look like dolls, but I remember being captured by their grace when I saw them.

From my prospective the makeup is not very attractive, too concealing. The clothes they wear are beautiful though, but like any women there are some attractive ones and some who are not.

They're walking dollsツ who can sing and play samisen! It's awesome! They are like actors pretending to be not really human (more like some idealized fantasy, e.g., doll). That's freaking cool.

Compare with the modern Gothic-Lolita subculture in Japan. The girls dress in complicated costumes and make up their faces so that they look like Victorian-era dolls. They sometimes have their pictures taken sitting extremely still (because dolls can't stand) and with their hands folded on their lap, not posing or smiling, just looking straight ahead. It's an interesting subculture to observe.

I've never seen one in my life, and was never interested.
I used to think the extreme white was so scary when I was younger.
But this photo here is absolutely beautiful.
I love their natural, casual expressions.
The kimono is quite wonderful in design, color, atmosphere which goes very well with the three ladies who are going some place..I wonder where.
Maybe with their lunch to a secluded shade under a tree?
The socks and slippers with red thongs are also very, very attractive...yes in a way like dolls...but live dolls.
The women themsleves are attractive.
It takes a certain cultivation of the aesthetic eye to see that actually...so don't despair....
Nice photo!

I think they look really ugly, how they were considered sex godesses is beyond my comprehension. The fat one especially :p

To put all this talk in proper context whether the relatively plump geisha is sexy in the photo, one only needs to see some fertility godess photos of Ancient Europe.
I'm sure you will recall from your high school history lessons.
The modern infatuation with feminine slimness is a transitory fad that shall come to pass mind you.

EDIT: Evidence that Aesthetic Standards Change over Time
Obviously these figurines represented the concept of physical beauty back then.

Warning: Enter at your own risk! :20:
The graphic nature of the images may spoil your appetite! :20:
You have been warned!! :20:

Late Paleolithic Venus excavated at Kostienki on the Don, Russia

The Kostenki - Borshevo, Костенки - Борщево region on the Don River, Russia

Last edited:
lexico said:
To put all this talk in proper context whether the relatively plump geisha is sexy in the photo, one only needs to see some fertility godess photos of Ancient Europe.
I'm sure you will recall from your high school history lessons.
The modern infatuation with feminine slimness is a transitory fad that shall come to pass mind you.

is not just because she is a bit chubby, but i dont like that pale white make up
weird hair and all that, is just a fake mask. Is like the tied foot in ancient china. Japanese have a weird defenition of beauty.

Yeah, Duo. I guess what's beautiful to a person is not something that anyone can force on another. Sorry about that. Looking back, I never thought geishas were beautiful. More scared or disguested by the paleness to be honest.

Last month I went to a 窶ケZツ青カ photo exhibit in Seoul. The Korean courtesans wore light makeup. But what surprised me was how lively these women were although we were 80-90 apart. So maybe that positive feeling from the exibit somehow has changed my view on the Japanese courtesans. But this is new experience for me.

I think geishas are the best thing ever!! They look like beautiful dolls, with the white, perfect makeup - and their clothes are sooo pretty.

I love their whole way of acting and being, so smoth and elegant. When they walk, they kind of... hoover above ground--- like they werenツ´t touching it.

BEsides, many geisha are very talented, they can sing and dance and know the proper way to serve tea and they can conversate like hell.
I love geishas! Theyツ´re awesome!

Funny how geishas try to make their skin pale and so many white people are always tanning. The grass is always greener, eh? :)

Brooker said:
Funny how geishas try to make their skin pale and so many white people are always tanning. The grass is always greener, eh? :)
LOL! The opposite to the extreme is of course the Ganguro! This is where the grass is not always greener but a dark shade of brown :giggle:

hmmm i dont know im not saying our defenition of beauty is better, im just saying that i dont find geishas to be sex godesses.

Here's another beauty!

A Mako, a geisha in training
The photographer chanced upon her while strolling down the streets of Kyoto.
She graciously agreed to be photographed.

Maiko-1.jpg

Isn't she pretty?

I think the several thousand dollars worth of silken fabric is pretty....pretty outrageous...but then to each their own....don't much care for the ganguro, yamamba and all the other overly made up gals, either though....
but then the geisha were never meant to be the fashion trend for those outside of Japan...

ummmm sorry but i dont find her pretty, what am i supposed to do with that face cream and bloody red lip lipstik ? but maybe its because unlike many members here i dont find the japanese or asian women to particularly very pretty or more so than the caucasian women i encounter all day. YEs, there are many beautiful jaapnese girls/women but the japanese are not prettier than the europeans. sorry :p

im happy so many people response on my qeustion thanks to you all.

beautyness of them is also in there training of years, thats why they are special, i mean its not just a woman with make up, it takes yearsss to become a reall one!

just to bad they real geisha culture will die, because they are so expensive, training is to long, and people prefer cheaper in this time like host woman.

so i think they will stay in japan, but not like this.

now a days there are just around 90 real geishas in japan, while before there were hunderds of them.

a book for people who are interested in geisha, is : memories of a geisha from Arthur Golden.. amazing story and for the people who think geisha are ugly woman, should read this, and think differnt about them! i think but yeah, woman are woman, ugly and beautyfull

dutch baka said:
im happy so many people response on my qeustion thanks to you all.

beautyness of them is also in there training of years, thats why they are special, i mean its not just a woman with make up, it takes yearsss to become a reall one!

just to bad they real geisha culture will die, because they are so expensive, training is to long, and people prefer cheaper in this time like host woman.

so i think they will stay in japan, but not like this.

now a days there are just around 90 real geishas in japan, while before there were hunderds of them.

a book for people who are interested in geisha, is : memories of a geisha from Arthur Golden.. amazing story and for the people who think geisha are ugly woman, should read this, and think differnt about them! i think but yeah, woman are woman, ugly and beautyfull

training makes them beautiful ☝ ? how is that, maybe we should use this technique and help the ugly ppl of the world, imagine all the money we would make 😌

yeah so sad geisha culture will die, we wont have any more proffesional prostitutes trained in pleasing men in all manners. Too bad we will get rid of a symbol that treats women as mere objects for the pleasure of men. Yeah so sad actually, 90 of them left, buhuhuh, im gona cry a river, i hope they are still around in japan next time i go around so that they can play tunes and act in front of me when all i need really is just sm good seuxal relaxation. AT least cheap hostess ladies are not faking who they are! A geisha is the same, just only pretends to be more high class, like that stereotypical french ***** who stinks but puts a lot of parfume on to smell nice. yeah Women ar Women, ugly and beautiful, so why not accept them for who they are, why make them still live up to sm aracheic and stupid standard of beauty of a backward feudal society who didnt value life at all ?

wow i think geisha are really beautiful
to me its the way they carry themselvs and all the training that they go through just to entertain drunk men.

Back
Top Bottom