What's new

Garbage disposal and recycling

ginlane

後輩
27 Mar 2016
Hi there,

I'm new to Japan and currently living in the west of Kyoto with my flatmate/friend.

I've been asked to look after the house recycling garbage disposal, unfortunately I have no idea what all the signs mean and what to do and on what days! (My flatmate is unhelpful, though she has pointed out to me that if I get it wrong, the neighbours will give her earache and she will subsequently give earache to me!)

So not wishing to get it wrong I'm desperate someone to help me to cast their eye over the enclosed attachments and decode them for me. Thank you so much for any information you can give me.

Prem

Attachments

• Recycling Kyoto (1).jpg
    Recycling Kyoto (1).jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Recycling Kyoto (2).jpg
    Recycling Kyoto (2).jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Recycling Kyoto (3).jpg
    Recycling Kyoto (3).jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Recycling Kyoto (4).jpg
    Recycling Kyoto (4).jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 145
Image 1 is the same as image 3 and image 2 is the same as 4. There's also mention of burnable garbage for which no picture is included here.

Image 1
Empty food and drink cans (juice, beer etc): put the cans directly in the net for cans (空きカン label). Do not wrap them in a bag.

Empty bottles (juice, alcohol, condiments etc): clear bottles go in the white container, brown bottles in the brown one, others in the black one.

Spray cans/lighters: remove the cap, make sure the contents are completely used up, and put them in the orange container.

PET bottles (juice, alcohol, condiments etc): remove the cap and label and put them in the PET bottle net (ペットボトル label).

• Make sure to place everything outside before 8:30 AM on collection day
  • Please make sure there are no contents left (wash with water)
  • Non-food cans and bottles should be treated as landfill waste instead [see next image]
  • PET bottles bought at supermarkets etc. can also be returned there
  • Commercial and industrial waste is not accepted

Collection days:
  • Empty cans/bottles/spray cans/lighters: second and fourth Thursday of every month
  • PET bottles: second and fourth Friday of every month

Image 2
Landfill garbage goes in the designated (yellow) bag. Plastic containers should be put in a transparent bag.

Landfill garbage: ceramics, plastics, metals, others
In case of garbage that doesn't fit in the bag, please place a request for oversize garbage retrieval.

Plastic containers: bottles, cups, trays, packs, bags/nets, styrofoam, plastic bottle caps
Items with the プラ (pura, from purasuchikku = plastic) mark are part of this category.
Items with dirt stains (e.g. food) that won't come off should be put out with burnable garbage.

• Make sure to place everything outside before 8:30 AM on collection day
  • Commercial and industrial waste is not accepted
  • Empty batteries should be put in a separate transparent bag and put out on the same day as landfill garbage.

Collection days:
  • Landfill garbage/empty batteries: first and third Wednesday of every month
  • Plastic containers: Wednesday of every week

Second and fourth Thursdays before 8:30, throw away cans, glass bottles, spray cans and lighters. On second and fourth Friday's throw away PET bottles (plastic bottles). Remove caps and labels from PET bottles and throw away separately with plastics on Wednesday. Be sure you puncture any spray bottles including fuel cartridges (gas bombe). Use the appropriate color boxes as shown.

Wednesday is for unburnables like in the pic (1st and 3rd Wednesday), and for all other plastics (every Wed). Use the appropriate bag as shown.

thank you very much for your help, very kind of you, I am now ready to do battle with the formidable task of recycling and garbage management :)

Back
Top Bottom