What's new

Foreign Card ATM Limit

kurapan

後輩
5 Aug 2014
Hi everyone!

Last month I had to withdraw some money from my bank account in my home country to pay initial fees when moving to a new apartment. I wanted to withdraw ¥70000 at once only to find that the limit for foreign cards was reduced to ¥50000 at once (apparently because of some stupid fraud with foreign cards earlier this year). You can still withdraw ¥50000 and then another ¥50000 immediately after that, so in terms of fraud protection, I don't see any improvement, but I see massive drop in convenience.
I can withdraw from an ATM abroad once a month without any fee and that's what I meant to do only to find I can't anymore.
I plan to transfer some more money from my account in my home country to my Japanese account so I'd like to withdraw as much as possible at once to keep the fees at the minimum. That's why I'd like to know if there still is any known way to withdraw more than ¥50000 at once. I used Seven Ginko ATM last time and Japan Post ATMs halved the limit too, apparently.
Any suggestion is very welcome!

Can't you use your Japanese account as your main bank account and avoid this trouble altogether?
I mean, the problem stems from you wanting to make frequent deposits, or large deposits from your US account using Japanese ATMs, right? Doesn't this problem disappear if you just use your JPN account for daily life instead of your US account?

Can't you use your Japanese account as your main bank account and avoid this trouble altogether?
I mean, the problem stems from you wanting to make frequent deposits, or large deposits from your US account using Japanese ATMs, right? Doesn't this problem disappear if you just use your JPN account for daily life instead of your US account?

I use my Japanese bank account for daily life, of course. I can't even imagine how inconvenient it would be to use a foreign account. I just still have some savings left on my account in the Czech Republic and I receive some smaller amounts to that account every now and then. I wanted to transfer most of the savings to my Japanese bank account now, and that's why I wanted to withdraw as much as possible at once.

Are you sure the limit change is on the Japanese ATM's side? My American bank imposes a similar limit on my ATM card both domestically and abroad.

well there you go! damn that's obnoxious. I'm sure the banks didn't put up a fight, now they can charge you withdrawl fees twice as often!

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I thought I'd post an update so that no one ends up getting an old information should they stumble upon this thread. As this is money related thing, it seemed all the more important to me.
The limit was reduced by half to 50,000 yen for one withdrawal last summer, but recently I've found out it has been since restored to the original 100,000 yen limit again, which also applies to most Japanese ATMs in general as far as I know.

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I thought I'd post an update so that no one ends up getting an old information should they stumble upon this thread. As this is money related thing, it seemed all the more important to me.
The limit was reduced by half to 50,000 yen for one withdrawal last summer, but recently I've found out it has been since restored to the original 100,000 yen limit again, which also applies to most Japanese ATMs in general as far as I know.
Thank you for the update, it's always good to have current information!

Back
Top Bottom