What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Finding Replacement Tanzaku?

Sarah Szabo

Kouhai
Reaction score
I love my Japanese wind chimes that I brought back with me to the US, but occasionally one of the chime's tanzaku (paper) blows off.

I'm running out of replacements, and I'm not sure where to get them.

I can also make them if necessary, but are they available online? A quick search showed that they are, but somewhat expensive. I wouldn't consider $5 / tanzaku a deal, and that's the lowest price I could find.

Are there any online vendors that sell tanzaku for reasonable prices? I'm looking to get about 10. If there aren't how hard is it to make one?
20191223_142643.jpg

mdchachi

Reaction score
When kids make these for tanabata or whatever, it's simply strips of coloured paper with a hole-punched hole on the end and ribbon tied to it. However in this case you want it to be durable and weather resistant. Since I have a laminator at home what I would probably do is print or cut out a few strips of paper in whatever decoration I prefer (maybe origami paper) and laminate them ending up with, essentially, something that looks like a bookmark. Punch a hole in the end and hang.
If I didn't have a laminator, I'd probably look for a suitable bookmark to use for this purpose.

bookmark.jpg

Chandeck

Registered
Reaction score
I am also looking for the Tanzaku Paper or wind chime tails for several Japanese windchimes.. The windchimes I purchased are from Nousaku and I have not been able to locate a place to purchase replacements.

Top Bottom