What's new

Final exam of the first term (1)

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I have to make two sets of English exams this time. That's a lot.
I'd appreciate it if you would help again.

Here are some parts of the exam for the 11th graders.
Would all the questions work? Would you please correct the sentences if needed?

問2 次の( )の語句を並べ替えて、意味が通じる英文を作りなさい。(Put all the words into the correct order.)
(1)What ( about / like / you / your / do ) life in Japan?
(2)The article ( out / the /about / survey / was / carried ) in 33 countries.
(3)The survey asked ( own / their / admired / how much / people / they ) country.
(4)Many foreign residents in Japan ( about / favourable / country / have / the / views ) they live in.
(5)Japan has ( on / of / positive influence / the rest / the world / a ).
(6)What ( Japan / think / in / foreign residents / do ) about the country?
(7)When Japanese people ( line / trains / up / board / they ) patiently.
(8)Japan has ( of / education / a / level / high ).
(9)The respondents ( had / have / to / seem ) a low opinion of their own country.
(10)She was struggling up the stairs ( a / her / Japanese / approached / when / woman ).

問3 次の( )に当てはまる語句を記号で選びなさい。(Choose the correct one for the blank.)
(1)He must ( ) a doctor.
(ア)been (イ)have being (ウ)have been (エ)had been
(2)That castle ( ) in 1460.
(ア)build (イ)is build (ウ)is built (エ)was built
(3)You'll ( ) speak English in a year.
(ア)can (イ)able to (ウ)can be (エ)be able to
(4)I have visited America ( ).
(ア)three time (イ)three times (ウ)three hour (エ)three hours
(5)Have you ever ( ) Tokyo?
(ア)be (イ)be to (ウ)been (エ)been to
(6)Can the rumor ( ) true?
(ア)is (イ)be (ウ)been (エ)not
(7)If ( ) sunny tomorrow, I'll go fishing.
(ア)it (イ)it's (ウ)it will (エ)it will be
(8)I was told that I should look ( ) things to do even when there are no customers around.
(ア)in (イ)on (ウ)at (エ)for
(9)In that instant, she knew that she would ( ) return to Japan.
(ア)sure (イ)surely (ウ)be sure (エ)be surely
(10)Soon after the earthquake, she decided ( ) Japan.
(ア)leave (イ)to leave (ウ)leaving (エ)to leaving

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

問2
(2) Probably you want "a" instead of "the" ("a survey carried out...").

Everything else is fine.

Thank you for your ongoing help, joadbres.

問2(2)The article ( out / a /about / survey / was / carried ) in 33 countries.
Answer: The article was about a survey carried out in 33 countries.

Is this OK?

If it were "the survey", would it sound off?

問2(2)The article ( out / a /about / survey / was / carried ) in 33 countries.
Answer: The article was about a survey carried out in 33 countries.

Is this OK?

Yes.

If it were "the survey", would it sound off?

Yes. You can't use "the" unless the survey was already previously mentioned in the article. However, a sentence with a phrase such as "article was about ... survey carried out in 33 countries" is likely to be the first mention of the survey.

I would say the same applies to "the article". Unless previously mentioned or understood usage of "the" doesn't work. "There is an article about a survey thay was carried out in 33 countries." Note that your sentence in context makes perfect sense and if they're not familiar with sentences such as the one I used I wouldn't suggest changing it for the test.

I would say the same applies to "the article". Unless previously mentioned or understood usage of "the" doesn't work. "There is an article about a survey thay was carried out in 33 countries." Note that your sentence in context makes perfect sense and if they're not familiar with sentences such as the one I used I wouldn't suggest changing it for the test.

This past May, @hirashin posted on this forum the text from the textbook:

In October 2009, an interesting article appeared in the British magazine The Economist. It was about a survey carried out in 33 countries around the world. The survey asked people how much they admired, trusted, respected, and took pride in their own country. Australia came top, China was 7th, while America was 11th. At the bottom of the list was Japan. The Japanese respondents seem to have had a low opinion of their own country.

The problem in question [問2(2)] is a restating of the second sentence from this text, and therefore "the article" is previously mentioned and understood. And anyway, a sample sentence used for a test question can freely use "the" without it being defined; refer to 問2(9) of the current test for an example. The problem that arises in this specific case is due to the extra information being added to describe the survey. "about the survey carried out in 33 countries" is awkward. If it was already clear which survey was being referred to, then something like "about the survey, which was carried out in 33 countries" or simply "about the survey, carried out in 33 countries" would be needed. The change I recommend is fine, and sufficient.

Thanks, OoTmaster and joadbres. The usage of the articles is one of the most difficult points for Japanese learners of English like me because we don't have equivalents in our language. (Is this sentence correct?)

Back
Top Bottom