What's new

FAQ Feature requests

Thanks and don't forget about the sign thing that should show if the person is male or female. But just take your time! 🙂 👍

i got an idea, you could put the forum, subforum, and thread links down at the bottom of all the posts, as well as at the top. maybe right under where it lists the pages. that way after you post a message and it leaves you at your post, which is usually towards the bottom, you don't have to scroll all the way back up to the top to navigate back to the thread list or a different forum. just my two cents.

Something I've never seen on other forums and I don't really think is very appropriate is the way the search screen is set up to display the search date along with last 10 results. The number of hits should probably also correspond to the number of threads, but that 's a relatively minor point. It just seems somehow a violation of user privacy and likely inhibits a lot of people from using it to the full extent. Another thing I don't really understand is not allowing for editing of posts after 1444 hours or whatever the limit and not letting us delete our own postings, but maybe there is good reasoning behind those ;).

the search doesnt show who did the last 10 searches just what they were. the hits correspond to the number that the search term was used. i dont think thats a provacy violation. as far as deleting your own posts. its because if you were the thread author and deleted your 1st post then you would delete the whole thread.

Originally posted by jeisan
the search doesnt show who did the last 10 searches just what they were. the hits correspond to the number that the search term was used. i dont think thats a provacy violation. as far as deleting your own posts. its because if you were the thread author and deleted your 1st post then you would delete the whole thread.
I just don't think it's necessary or particularly informative, frankly, to show anything and by privacy I mean it isn't difficult to come up with scenarios in which deducing the source becomes like connecting the dots. For instance, a series of very distinct searches, say replete with spelling errors, controversial subjects, or maybe on users' names corresponds to an individual's later postings or someone is known to have a particular medical condition etc. As for deleting posts, I'm aware about deleting the thread with the first one, but I believe it was possible in the past to delete anything successive to that.

well, i always just thought of it more as a random stat than anything else. but what does it matter if people did know what you searched for, unless theres something to hide? if you really want to delete your post, edit it, then erase eveything that was typed, and just leave something like [deleted] in there since you cant post blank messages.

Originally posted by jeisan
well, i always just thought of it more as a random stat than anything else. but what does it matter if people did know what you searched for, unless theres something to hide?
And why aren't the police welcome to raid all of our properties as a crime prevention measure if we aren't known to be growing marijuana and keep all our guns safely stored? A better analogy might be being tracked on the Internet, though. I don't necessarily have anything to hide with the sites I visit but I would still feel uneasy with advertisers who do it posting it publicly or making that sort of information public to the highest bidder, however anonymous or innocuous it may be.

the police raiding my house is a far cry from the last thing i searched at the japan forum. besides that most major search engines do the same thing in a different way. ever seen "most popular searches?" they just use all the stats instead of the last 10. ive also seen some the have most recent searhes as well.

And as this isn't a news or entertainment site per se, the need for currency seems less, ergo it seems searches could be combined and stats figured over a longer period of time.

I'd also like to see a chat room... a good way to do it might be to open it only when a moderator is around.. and post that on the site. That way it can be used. It might mean that the room isn't always open, but it could keep the community we all love and add a little more to it

I would support the idea of multilanguage ... it can bring in more walks of people..(i hope so ....)i would suggest to have german, spanish and chinese...as these are the major languages in the world...

I would like to see a Chat room here,i think it will bring more love for the members in this site and alot of off-topic conversations posts would be decreased .and i agree with Noy//

Plz try to make it possible

Some good things I've read:
-more smilies 👍
-a male/female - sign (how will that look like...?^^)
-maybe birthdate or age (age would be cool^^)
-and as I've already mentioned in a thread with poll... a jRef-Chatroom... (that'd maybe solve some spam-problems^^)

about the multilanguage-thing: some areas would be cool, but not too many, that would seperate the forum, I think... (a bit German for me as German guy would be quite cool ^_^ )

RUBY TAGS!

I would like Ruby tags (furigana), if at all possible with vBcode, please. There is a simple way to do it with html, but I do not know about vBcode, so...

How about a portal, but not like vbindex where its a phpnuke thing...but a small portal that displays latest topics, online members, etc

Chat room suggestion.
Apart from getting one that does Japanese ;-) I think it would be a good idea to indicate how many people are in the chat room.

e.g.
JREF Top Chat [3] Shop User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

If there are people already there it will encourage others to visit - and if there aren't then at least you know that if you _do_ join it over people will know someone's waiting there to chat.

Hmm, I don't know if this can be considered a bug or glitch (or as Microsoft would put it: a feature), but this post extends the width of the thread ridiculously. If it is not yet implemented (& maybe just doesn't work properly), maybe there should be an automatic line break somewhere, even if there is no blank.
Not important, just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom