What's new

Extremely Suspicious Windows Update!

Reiku

先輩
23 Aug 2004
Has anyone here installed the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool" update for Windows XP?

It marked this thing as just a regular software update, but after going over the license agreement, it looks extremely suspicious. Now, I trust Microsoft--which is to say I trust them to try and screw their customers at every available opportunity--so I'm really hesitant to install something that is apparently designed to scan my sytem and send data back to microsoft, supposedly "to inform you whether or not you have installed a genuine copy of Windows XP"

What kind of bull$hit is that?!

This system came pre-installed with Win XP, and I registered the software already. Unless magic cyber-ninjas broke into the Compaq warehouse and installed a counterfeit version on my laptop before it got shipped out, it is a genuine copy.

There's absolutely no need for any further verification.

...and then there's these little gems from the liscense agreement:

· When you install the software on your premises, it will check to make sure you have a genuine and validly licensed copy of Microsoft Windows XP ("Windows XP") installed. If you have a genuine copy of Windows XP, you receive special benefits, which are listed on the following link: About Genuine Windows.
· If the software detects you are not running a genuine copy of Windows XP, the operation of your computer will not be affected in any way. However, you will receive a notification and periodic reminders to install a genuine licensed copy of Windows XP. Automatic Updates will be limited to receiving only critical security updates.
· You will not be able to uninstall the software but you can suppress the reminders through the software icon in the system tray.

· PRIVACY NOTICE: The validation process of the software does not identify you and is used only for the purpose of reporting to you whether or not you have a genuine copy of Windows XP. The software does not collect or send any personal information to Microsoft about you. The sole purpose of the software is to inform you whether or not you have installed a genuine copy of Windows XP. However, Microsoft may collect and publish aggregated data about the use of the software.

a. Consent for Internet-Based Services. The software feature described below connects to Microsoft or service provider computer systems over the Internet. In some cases, you will not receive a separate notice when they connect. You may switch off this feature or not use it. For more information about this feature, see Nosing in on a polar bear pair. By using this feature, you consent to the transmission of this information. Microsoft does not use the information to identify or contact you.
i. Computer Information. The software uses Internet protocols, which sends to Microsoft computer information, such as your Windows XP product key, PC manufacturer, operating system version, Windows XP product ID, PC BIOS information, user locale setting, and language version of Windows XP.
ii. Use of Information. We may use the computer information to improve our software and services. We may also share it with others, such as hardware and software vendors. They may use the information to improve how their products run with Microsoft software.
4. PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE. This software is a pre-release version. It may not work the way a final version of the software will. We may change it for the final, commercial version. We also may not release a commercial version.

12. Disclaimer of Warranty. The software is licensed "as-is." You bear the risk of using it. Microsoft gives no express warranties, guarantees or conditions. You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws which this agreement cannot change. To the extent permitted under your local laws, Microsoft excludes the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
13. Limitation on and Exclusion of Remedies and Damages. You can recover from Microsoft and its suppliers only direct damages up to U.S. $5.00. You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages.

Okay, so I'm supposed to install a pre-release version of a program that is essentially spyware, I won't be able to uninstall it, it will connect to the internet and transmit information about my system without notifying me, and if it blows up my computer I get $5.00 compensation if anything?!?

Is it just me or has Bill Gates gotten bolder with his evil machinations?

I mean, to come right out and tell you all this right in the liscense agreement--they might as well have put up a big sign that said "CONSUMER VIOLATION PROGRAM" :eek:

So, has anyone already installed this? If so, what happened?

The article to worry about here is number 4.

First they tell you what this update does, which is generally nothing to worry about. They're just gathering anonymous statistics data about the use of their product. They also say you can turn it off.
But at article 4 they basicly tell you that this pre-release could perhaps do other things then what it's intended for.

Articles 12 and 13 are just standard disclaimers.

Did It!

I installed it on my wife's laptop a few days ago. So far no affects I can see from it, knock on wood.

Uncle Frank

:eek:

I have Windows Update running and installing stuff automatically, so I guess it is already installed :eek:
Ah well, guess I won't die from it so it can't be that bad, right? ..Guys? 😌

Twisted said:
The article to worry about here is number 4.

First they tell you what this update does, which is generally nothing to worry about. They're just gathering anonymous statistics data about the use of their product. They also say you can turn it off.
But at article 4 they basicly tell you that this pre-release could perhaps do other things then what it's intended for.

Articles 12 and 13 are just standard disclaimers.

Well, actually, they say you can turn the notifications off, not the program itself--that you can't even uninstall.

I don't know about you, but I have a personal rule to not put something on my computer that I can't take off later.

Back
Top Bottom