What's new

Events in the Gulf of Oman

TGI-ECT

先輩
6 Jan 2007
Definitely a matter for the serious discussions sub-forum, Very, very serious.

Start with the practical, get that gas tank filled, and maybe store a bit away, if you have a safe way to do so.

If you have a business that requires the use of petrol, do the purchasing now. Things could get out of control very rapidly.

And what a nasty slap in the face to Prime Minister Abe. One of the two in the latest attacks was a Japanese owned tanker.

Armed conflict between states/nations is always such a terrible mess, but the fact is that stretch of water where a whole bunch of the oil supply passes through has to be kept open.

Definitely serious.

Aren't there some elections coming up? Now, where did we put those sabres last time.....

Iran is the last area of control for the globalist control of the oil fields. So anything will happen once Trump is out of office. Funny since someone is using torpedoes this time around. Could be someone is testing Trumps will to attack Iran. But Iran's people have never invaded other countries so I don't think they will take it likely if the USA starts bombing Iran. Most people in Iran detest their leaders. An overthrow would be in US best interest by its own people.

There is a parliamentary election coming up in Iran in 2020. As for the United States, I sincerely do not believe any elected official in the United States would provoke an armed conflict in that area simply to assist them in some political way.

The world's oil supply line is way, way too sensitive a matter to be messing about with for political reasons in a nation like the United States. I would like very much to be able to make the same statement with regard to Iran, but I confess I am not able to do so.

In fact, I am surprised that there is any sort of state sponsored acts of aggression, even if only by proxy, in that area of operations. It is far too dangerous for all parties concerned, and that is referring to a lot of nations.

But we'll be receiving more information out of the UN Security Council.

Aren't there some elections coming up? Now, where did we put those sabres last time.....
...and the parents of the Japanese abductees?

Sorry, bad taste, but it really annoys me how they suddenly get loads of airtime before elections then ignored afterwards.
Anyway, carry on with the serious discussion!

When American intelligence says Iran is behind it , chances are good it's true. Our spy system I was involved in during the early 70's was very large and detailed and missed very little in keeping track of the communist countries back then. In todays world it is even more sophisticated with systems in space , on land , under water , and using many many paid spies. Releasing the details of how we know things may endanger the system and let the enemy know how we track them. If our information is not 100% certain , we often compare our intelligence info with our allies spy info to fill in any blanks. Hopefully things will not progress into another war in the Mideast , enough lives have been lost there already.

I would agree mostly with your assessment of our intelligence agencies. I think if we say Iran is behind it then they are most likely behind it. I know enough of America's shady history to know it could very well be a false flag attack to justify aggression in the area. If that were the case we're not likely to out ourselves.

The video of the Iranian fast boat removing the mine from the side of the ship looks like it was taken with FLIR night vision. I expect Iran will claim it was them doing a "good deed" to save the ship , LOL. I think Iran has an election coming up. It would be nice to see them remove the old hard liners/religious zealots and put in some young open minded leaders who want them to join the rest of the peaceful modern nations.

Remember when the "Shaw of Iran" was an American friend and the Iranians just loved America. The whole middle east political scene is no more different then the Chinese political scene, just a different language of who's in power and why they stay in power.
I often wonder if American Presidents are nothing more then fronts and have very little say what goes on in the world of continuous wars for profit and population control.

Also I find it weird with all the tech that is available to locate these mine, why are these mines still in the waters?

In furtherance of Uncle Frank's line of contemplation on this whole mess, I contend that even more telling regarding the intel that influenced decision-making; when a carrier task force is moved --- like that which was moved from the Mediterranean to the Gulf region --- when they go to the added expense to do that they are responding to some very strong evidence that it is worth the extra expense and effort.

In fact, the power folks at DoD have been having some success at getting more focus on matters related to Russia and China and a reduction in the U.S. footprint in the Middle East AO and so this change/shift back to the Middle East (Central Command) has to be supported by some very solid information.

In addition they moved some Air Force assets into the area, which adds more expense to be figured out, and I seem to recall they also moved some Patriot missile systems into the area and an amphib ship for support of the Marine Corps.

They won't be doing all that unless they had the information to back up the decisions.

I think it might be a good idea here to point out that the major threat is this:

https{:}//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_of_the_Islamic_Revolutionary_Guard_Corps (Again, just modify this "{:}" for a proper link.)

And let me quote the opening paragraph:

The Navy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) or Revolutionary Guards' Navy (Persian: نیروی دریایی سپاه پاسداران انقلاب اسلامی‎), acronym NEDSA (Persian: ندسا‎), consists of 20,000 men and 1,500 boats and fast attack boats separate from the regular Navy of Artesh assuming control over Iranian maritime operations in the Persian Gulf. IRGC's Navy has steadily improved its capabilities to support unconventional warfare and defend Iran's offshore facilities, coastlines, and islands in the Persian Gulf.

Interestingly, there is no love lost between the upstart Navy of the IRGC and the regular naval brass in Iran. But the Islamic Revolutionary Guard, in all its many facets, has managed to instill fear into all manner of government and civilian life in Iran, so the regular navy brass keep their mouths shut.

It's a horrible mess at present and I am glad no crewmen have lost there lives and I sure hope the Revolutionary Guard bigwigs decide enough is enough and scale back their actions.

By the way, about that one video the DoD released to the public --- I'd like to see the stuff the public hasn't been shown, yet.

Last edited:
When American intelligence says Iran is behind it , chances are good it's true. Our spy system I was involved in during the early 70's was very large and detailed and missed very little in keeping track of the communist countries back then. In todays world it is even more sophisticated with systems in space , on land , under water , and using many many paid spies. Releasing the details of how we know things may endanger the system and let the enemy know how we track them. If our information is not 100% certain , we often compare our intelligence info with our allies spy info to fill in any blanks. Hopefully things will not progress into another war in the Mideast , enough lives have been lost there already.
You may well be right, but many British people have memories of Tony Blair swearing blind in 2002 that we had authoritative evidence that Saddam Hussain had weapons of mass destruction to attack Britain in 45 minutes, which was used as justification to give America full backing in the second Gulf War, something most British people strongly opposed. In fact there was no such evidence and such weapons were never found. So while I have no doubts about the ability of American intelligence, I can only regard public announcements on what they have found with a certain amount of scepticism.

musicisgood, in answer to your question I think we need to go to the professionals and one very good piece of information I finally found in my archive and then checked to be sure you can still access this page is here:

And one paragraph is here:

There's long been concern about the ability of the new Littoral Combat Ship, whose missions include stopping mines, to accurately spot mines. Last year, the Pentagon's top weapons tester judged that the sensor and laser systems designed for the Littoral Combat Ship were " deficient" for their major mine-spotting task. And there's little margin for error: Mines are likely to blow the Littoral Combat Ship to bits if the UISS can't stop them.

Truth is, the Iranian forces can be very good at knowing where certain mine spotting operations are being conducted and just place mines in an area where they know they have some time before a mine will be spotted.

On the other hand, what assets in orbit that might be used is a question I would have if I could interview somebody at DoD. But that would probably get a 'no comment' style response.

Back
Top Bottom