What's new

Emperor Akihito

Mary27

後輩
4 Feb 2015
Why isn't Emperor Akihito teaching the Japanese people the history he wants them to observe himself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mary, on a technical note: please don't add URLs into the title field, they are meant for (meaningful) titles only. I've updated your post. ;)

Mary, we meet again. Maybe its because he's a ceremonial Emperor and not an absolute monarch, dictator, or even a college professor or essayist. I tend to think it also has something to do with the customary prohibition on members of the royal family from wading into hot-button political areas (a taboo that doesn't exist on this forum, obviously, so feel free to jump in).

Why isn't Emperor Akihito teaching the Japanese people the history he wants them to observe himself?

Thank you. It just seems to me, if that is his biggest worry, it could be easily resolved by himself, and solve many long standing diplomatic issues going on right now.

Thank you. It just seems to me, if that is his biggest worry, it could be easily resolved by himself, and solve many long standing diplomatic issues going on right now.

He is the least free man in all of Japan.

if that is his biggest worry, it could be easily resolved by himself
I don't see how it could be easily resolved by him. He can't command everyone in Japan to think the same way he thinks. And, frankly speaking, we can't be sure that his version of history is one that will have a salutary effect on relations with neighboring countries.

He is the least free man in all of Japan.

This. What is done to the Japanese king is positively criminal.

He can't command everyone in Japan to think the same way he thinks.

I can certainly understand Mary's frustration on this issue. Of course he cannot command anyone to think as he does, but consider this conundrum: Its NOT everyone who needs their minds changed. The only true threat to the truth and atonement and foreign relations is the Japanese rightists/nationalists. The typical Japanese rightist/nationalist worships the king as their spiritual leader. Yet, when the king says things they don't like about history, they just ignore him!!

If only the king could stand up and order the rightists/nationalist to smarten up and align themselves with his views, OR take a kitchen knife and carve a circle in their bellies spine deep, this country would be GREATLY improved.

at least, there is no king in Japan though the Chinese and Korean say it. Oda , toyotomi and Tokugawa were kings. He is keeping Hirohito's Imperial Rescript on the Termination of the War

TO OUR GOOD AND LOYAL SUBJECTS:

After pondering deeply the general trends of the world and the actual conditions obtaining in Our Empire today, We have decided to effect a settlement of the present situation by resorting to an extraordinary measure.

We have ordered Our Government to communicate to the Governments of the United States, Great Britain, China and the Soviet Union that Our Empire accepts the provisions of their Joint Declaration.

To strive for the common prosperity and happiness of all nations as well as the security and well-being of Our subjects is the solemn obligation which has been handed down by Our Imperial Ancestors and which lies close to Our heart.

Indeed, We declared war on America and Britain out of Our sincere desire to ensure Japan's self-preservation and the stabilization of East Asia, it being far from Our thought either to infringe upon the sovereignty of other nations or to embark upon territorial aggrandizement.

But now the war has lasted for nearly four years. Despite the best that has been done by everyone – the gallant fighting of the military and naval forces, the diligence and assiduity of Our servants of the State, and the devoted service of Our one hundred million people – the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, while the general trends of the world have all turned against her interest.

Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should We continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.

Such being the case, how are We to save the millions of Our subjects, or to atone Ourselves before the hallowed spirits of Our Imperial Ancestors? This is the reason why We have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the Joint Declaration of the Powers.

We cannot but express the deepest sense of regret to Our Allied nations of East Asia, who have consistently cooperated with the Empire towards the emancipation of East Asia.

The thought of those officers and men as well as others who have fallen in the fields of battle, those who died at their posts of duty, or those who met with untimely death and all their bereaved families, pains Our heart night and day.

The welfare of the wounded and the war-sufferers, and of those who have lost their homes and livelihood, are the objects of Our profound solicitude.

The hardships and sufferings to which Our nation is to be subjected hereafter will be certainly great. We are keenly aware of the inmost feelings of all of you, Our subjects. However, it is according to the dictates of time and fate that We have resolved to pave the way for a grand peace for all the generations to come by enduring the unendurable and suffering what is unsufferable.

Having been able to safeguard and maintain the structure of the Imperial State, We are always with you, Our good and loyal subjects, relying upon your sincerity and integrity.

Beware most strictly of any outbursts of emotion which may engender needless complications, or any fraternal contention and strife which may create confusion, lead you astray and cause you to lose the confidence of the world.

Let the entire nation continue as one family from generation to generation, ever firm in its faith in the imperishability of its sacred land, and mindful of its heavy burden of responsibility, and of the long road before it.

Unite your total strength, to be devoted to construction for the future. Cultivate the ways of rectitude, foster nobility of spirit, and work with resolution – so that you may enhance the innate glory of the Imperial State and keep pace with the progress of the world.

(Hirohito's signature and Privy Seal)

August 14,1945

anyway he is avoiding to be used in political matter.

Did he say it?
What I am rather more concerned about is that history might gradually be forgotten. The Showa Era began under extremely harsh conditions. Just before the Enthronement Ceremony of Emperor Showa in 1928, Zhang Zuolin was assassinated. Three years later, the Manchurian Incident ignited the trail that led to World War II. Emperor Showa had visited the tragic site of the World War I battlefield of Verdun and had taken to heart the importance of maintaining peace, so it is my perception that the events that led to war must have been contrary to what he would have wished. The 60-plus years of the Showa Era taught us many lessons. I believe it is essential for us to learn from the historical facts and prepare ourselves for the future.

Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's 20th Anniversary of Accession to the Throne - The Imperial Household Agency

his concern is about WAR. it is not about history

Last edited:
I think it is really interesting...

why is Japan strong? it is because the japanese does not cry unlike neighbors

Last edited:
f98011d3.jpg

次に少し長いが、如何に日本の教科書が一番公正かという米国の論文の記事コピーを載せておこう。「公正」で「抑制」された日本の歴史教科書に対しては、国内から「もう少し国家観をだしては」という意見があるくらいに「誇張の無い控えめ」な記述であると分析された。

一方、下に書かれた分析では、韓国の歴史教育は「自己中心的にしか歴史を見ていない。」と分析されている。この分析をもってして、韓国に他国の歴史を語る資格は無いとさえ言える。

韓国の歴史解釈には、その歴史を作った当事者の日本から見て唐突なものが多いが、それは全て、歴史を親北朝鮮、反日、反米の色めがねで見るからで、それが「自己中心的」と分析され、最近起きた、東海表記の根拠が世界に通じなかったのがいい例だろう。

記事
「一番公正な歴史教科書は日本」米スタンフォード大学
韓国の李明博大統領は2011年8月15日、ソウル市内で開かれた日本の植民地支配 からの解放66年を祝う「光復節」記念式典で演説、竹島(韓国名・独島)問題に直接言及 しなかったものの、韓国は過去の歴史を決して忘れず「日本は未来の世代に正しい歴史 を教える責任がある」と表明した。、、李大統領は「(正しい歴史教育があってはじめて)韓日の若者が明るい未来に向かって共に 歩んでいける」と語った。参照記事

日本の事をよく知る李大統領の発言とは思えない内容だが、この国では、こういうスタンスを取り続ける事が政治家に要求されるのでしょう。それが事実と違っていたとしても、、。

次に少し長いが、如何に日本の教科書が一番公正かという米国の論文の記事コピーを載せておこう。「公正」で「抑制」された日本の歴史教科書に対しては、国内から「もう少し国家観をだしては」という意見があるくらいに「誇張の無い控えめ」な記述であると分析された。

一方、下に書かれた分析では、韓国の歴史教育は「自己中心的にしか歴史を見ていない。」と分析されている。この分析をもってして、韓国に他国の歴史を語る資格は無いとさえ言える。

韓国の歴史解釈には、その歴史を作った当事者の日本から見て唐突なものが多いが、それは全て、歴史を親北朝鮮、反日、反米の色めがねで見るからで、それが「自己中心的」と分析され、最近起きた、東海表記の根拠が世界に通じなかったのがいい例だろう。 原文元 参照記事元 2011年8月17日記事より抜粋 過去ブログ:韓国主張の「東海」はダメ!IHO

==================================================

f98011d3-s.jpg
序文:
昨年(2010年)12月に読売新聞が報じた「日本の歴史教科書は最も抑制的」(右)というスタンフォード大学Stanford Universityの調査報告について、スタンフォード大学の学者が雑誌サピオに論文「日米中韓台の比較研究で分かった一番公正な歴史教科書は日本」を寄稿している。

戦争賛美せず 愛国心あおらず 日本は最も抑制 :先の大戦に対する各国の歴史認識問題が、アジアの国際関係に影を落とし続けている。米スタンフォード大学アジア太平洋研究センターは、日中韓と米国、台湾
の高校歴史教科書比較研究プロジェクトを実施し、日本の教科書は戦争を賛美せず、最も抑制的だと指摘した。研究チームの主要メンバーである日本史学者ピー ター・ドウスPeter Duus氏に研究成果を、元米紙東京特派員ダニエル・スナイダー氏Daniel C. Sneider (スタンフォード大学アジア太平洋研究センター副所長)に研究の趣旨を報告してもらった。論点スペシャルとして紹介する。

日本の教科書 :今回比較した中では日本の教科書が最も愛国的記述がなく、戦争の賛美などは全くしていない 。日本の中国進出についてのくだりは全く事実をそのまま伝えており、当時の軍と政府のリーダーたちの責任だとしている 。非常に平板なスタイルでの事実の羅列であり、感情的なものがない。

韓国の教科書 :韓国の教科書は特にナショナル・アイデンティティーの意識の形成に強く焦点を当てている。自分たち韓国人に起こったことを詳細かつ念入りに記述している。韓国の教科書は、中国で起きた戦争に関する記述が希薄だ 。韓国は日本の中国に対する行為には興味はなく、日本が自分たちに行ったことだけに関心がある 。私が驚愕した一つの例は、主要な韓国の教科書には広島長崎の原爆投下の記述がないことだ。それほどまでに彼らは自己中心的にしか歴史を見ていない。

米国の教科書:米国の教科書は日中戦争について多く語っていない。米国の教科書は、第二次世界大戦について、アジアよりもヨーロッパでの戦争の方により焦点を当てる傾向がある。ニュルンベルク裁判についてはたくさんの記述があるが、東京裁判については大変少ない。

中国の教科書 :歴史学の観点から見て、最も問題が多いのは中国の教科書だ。
中国の教科書は全くのプロパガンダになっている。共産党のイデオロギーに満ちており、非常に政治化されている。太平洋戦争に関してほとんど記述がなく、広島・長崎の原爆投下もほとんど言及していない。 中国の教科書は2004年に改定されているが、改定後は中国人の愛国心を謳い、日本との戦いを強調している。内戦の話は後退し、抗日戦線での勇ましい描写が増えた。南京事件などをより詳細に記述するなど、日本軍による残虐行為もより強調されている。つまり中国人のナショナリズムを煽っている。

台湾の教科書:国民党支配下で書かれた古い教科書には、中国王朝の歴史だけを学んでいた。
しかし新しい教科書からは、台湾という国家の視点よって書かれ、台湾それ自身の歴史を教えることになった。台湾と中国両方の教科書が、異なった理由でだが国共内戦を強調しなくなっている。台湾の新しい教科書では日中戦争の強調は抑えられ、南京事件なども大幅に削っている。台湾の日本による植民地時代の論点は、当時の日本の政治状況と関連づけて述べられており、日本の悪行を書いてはいるが、かなり正確な分析をしている。
141be522.jpg
ピーター・ドウス Peter Duus氏 スタンフォード大名誉教授。専門は日本近代史。ハーバード大で歴史学博士。英国帝国史研究で進展した「非公式帝国」論などを導入、戦前日本の帝国史・植民地統治研究に貢献した。早稲田大などで数えたこともある。日本人ドウス 昌代 さんは 彼の妻であり作家でもある。

f7902c0d.jpg
ダニエル・スナイダー
Daniel C. Sneider氏:スタンフォード大学アジア太平洋研究センター副所長、元クリスチャン・サイエンス・モニター東京特派員:日米中韓台の比較研究で分かった 一番公正な歴史教科書は日本等

use web translation

I get the feeling the OP joined for the purpose of trolling and then left when we didn't hit the bait as hard as she had hoped.

at least, there is no king in Japan though the Chinese and Korean say it. Oda , toyotomi and Tokugawa were kings.

Oh, but Japan does have a king. I am pretty sick of the patronizing and calling him emperor. Queen Elizabeth II is an empress. She is the head of state of a great many countries. Akihito is a king. There is no empire nor anything remotely close to an empire anymore. And his religious figure head status bears no relation to the word emperor. That there is no real translation for tenno is just too bad. He is a king. Full stop.

I get your point about Queen Elizabeth II, but she is not now nor has at any point been "Empress" of anything.

The only British dominion regarding which "Empress" was applied was, I believe, India. Elizabeth came to the throne after Indian independence. The title was originated in 1876, after the dissolution of the East India Company, and persisted until 1948.

Given that a stable and domestically united Japan is a relatively modern development, I believe it could be said that for much of Japan's history the term "emperor" could be said to apply, as the position was largely a symbolic figurehead over essentially separate (and often warring) entities which were kingdoms in all but name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom