What's new

Does "aishiteru" and "koishiteru" have the same meaning.

Does this help?

Oh, I thought I could learn, but now I'm all confused. but I won't stop I will speak Japanese. I've calmed down now. ;)

If you can think of Spanish - well, I would relate "ai shite iru" to "te amo" and "koi shite iru" to "te quiero."

hum.. and how about the difference of "Ai" and "Aijou" ? I think both means Love, right?

Yes, I would guess 愛情 (Aijou) can also mean love, but I don't know what situation it would be applied to.

For instance "Aijou hyougen ni (tsukawarette imasu)" indicating something is used as an expression of love.

Last edited:
愛は惜しみなく奪う

I've heard the interesting story about "Love" and "Ai".

A long time ago, if I remember right, about 400 years ago,
missionaries who came to Japan had a trouble translating the English word "Love" into Japanese.

They thought carefully,
If "Jesus loves you" is literally translated into Japanese, it becomes "Jesus ha anatagata wo aishi masu"
However, "ai" has a sexual meaning, the pure feeling is not expressed, and the Japanese would frown in displeasure.
Therefore, we should say, "Jesus ha anatagata wo taisetsu ni omoi masu". (which means "Jesus regards you as important existence.)

Even in those days, I think, it was strange Japanese, but it was not an avoidable problem.

Of course, today Using "aishimasu" is not problem.
But, be careful,
The "Ai-jin (愛人)" usually means an extramarital affair partner.
🙂

And I've been told "God loves, or gives his love to, humanity" would be "神は人類を愛し給う". Is it the same today with Jesus?

You sometimes use aishite kureru as well, don't you? Which also sounds more friendly than sexual or romantic.

Ai is love; Koi is romance

At times, the kanji for the two words--Koi and Ai--are combined to form Ren'ai . . . romantic love

Originally posted by Elizabeth
And I've been told "God loves, or gives his love to, humanity" would be "神は人類を愛し給う". Is it the same today with Jesus?

You sometimes use aishite kureru as well, don't you? Which also sounds more friendly than sexual or romantic.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I said, "a long time ago", not "today".
Don't get confused.
What Elizabeth san said, "神は人類を愛し給う", had a sexual meaning in those days.

Originally posted by billiken
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I said, "a long time ago", not "today".
Don't get confused.
What Elizabeth san said, "神は人類を愛し給う", had a sexual meaning in those days.
I meant is Jesus loves you said the same way today (using aishitamau) as God loves humanity?

日本語で。。。"God loves humanity" という文に使われている動詞は愛し給うと思います。そんなだと、"Jesus loves you"という文に使われている動詞も愛し給うのでしょう か?
間違いがあれば、訂正してくださいね。

OK--I think the verb is the same, but couldn't they use "aishiteorimasu" to distinguish it from the more common forms of love?

"You sometimes use aishite kureru as well, don't you?"
あなたは同様に時折"愛してくれる?"と言う表現を使いませんか?

Sorry, at first I thought this expression insulted me, and so I got angry. 🙂

I'm afraid I couldn't get your post exactly.

The problem was Japanese "愛 Ai."(not English "Love", "aishiteorimasu" also contains "愛 ai.")

There are books about this subject and I'm not a researcher.

Generally, they says as follows.
Before Meiji, there was no concept applicable to English "Love" in Japanese society.
As a word showing man and woman's intimate relation, although there were "ai", "koi", "iro", etc,
they had "love feeling" and "sexual desire" simultaneously.
The word called present "恋愛" was newly made as a translation word with "Love" in the Meiji era.
And the concept of "Love" widely spread through people of the intellectuals after Taisho Era.
It was the 1970s that the number of those who get married for "Love" exceeded the number of arranged matrimonial (marriage through a go-between お見合い結婚) in Japan.
Some people say it is after the 1970s that the idea of "Love" spread all over Japan.

But, I don't know whether "Love" is completely the same as "愛、 Ai".

Golgo_13 san had stated the good opinion about "I love you" on another thread. I was impressed very much.
"There's really no way to say it in Japanese without sounding corny. Simply because the Japanese have no tradition of saying such phrase."
"If you want to say it to a Japanese person, my suggestion is to just say it in English. "

Again, Sorry, I speak in broken English.
🙂

Originally posted by billiken
"You sometimes use aishite kureru as well, don't you?"
"あなたは同様に時折"愛してくれる?"と言う表現を使いませんか?"

Sorry, at first I thought this expression insulted me, and so I got angry.

I'm afraid I couldn't get your post exactly.

The problem was Japanese "愛 Ai."(not English "Love", "aishiteorimasu" also contains "愛 ai.")

難しいテーマですね。それと気を悪くしたんなら、ごめんなさいね。私は自分の言葉がそんなにbillikenさんの気に障ったとは気がつかなかったです。:) 日本語の練習に付き合ってくれてありがとうございました。

多分今は「愛してくれる」という表現は英語の[Appreciation, gratitude, and thanks for your love]みたいな感じでしょうかね。
何も性的な事と直接の関係はありません。
ですから、信仰の人は神様にかんして「愛してくるれ」という表現を使う場合が多いですか 一方では、そんな愛情表現はあまり丁寧ではないと思います。
どんな時に「愛してくれる」という言葉は使われているのかな?

ちょっと文法的な間違いがあってごめんなさい。
わかったらいいでしょう。
🙂

Aishiteru means i love you in a deeper meaning as in a long relation ship while as daisuki means i love you to a friend with deep meaning and Koishiteru means i love you but i want to spend all the nights under the moon with you

Back
Top Bottom