What's new

Damned mojibake

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
Hello, I am having some major problems with mojibake (Japanese characters not displayed properly) I used the English yahoo mail. Whenever I get japanese characters when I send out an email, when I get the response back, its in japanese and nothing I do can make it readable. I even selected Japanese for the encoding. For example, I emailed about the video they made crushing the PSP, and this is what I got in messed up Japanese mojibake:
ツウツ、テウツ、テ仰、テ?、ツ・ツ」
テ仰ォツ、テ。ツ、テ?、ツッツ、ツ・テ?、ツ「ツ、テェツ、ツャツ、テ按、ツヲツ。ツ」

ツシツ。ツ、テ渉、テ楪、ツソテ甘個、テ篠、テ「ツ、テ篠、テイツイテオツ、ツキツ、テ楪、ツケツ。ツ」ツウテ堋、ツキツ、テ淞、テ仰、ツキツ、テ?、ツ、ツ、テ?、ツッツ、テ?ツ、ツオツ、ツ、ツ。ツ」

PSPツ、テイツイテオツ、ツキツ、ツソテ?ーツイティツ、テ渉。ツ「ツサテ、ツ、テ篠サテ按、テδ、テ?、ツ、ツ、ツ・ツオツ。ツシツ・テ青。ツシツ、ツャツ・ツ「ツ・ツッツ・ツサツ・ツケツ、テ凝づ堕、ツィツ、テゥツ、ツ・ツコツ。ツ「ツクテクツウツォツ、ツ・テ?、ツサテ淞、ツケツ、ツ・テカツ、テ仰、テ環、テδ、テ?、ツキツ、テ楪、テδ、ツソツ。ツ」

ツ・ツオツ。ツシツ・テ青。ツシツ、ツャツ、ツ「ツ、ツ・テ青。ツ「ツ、ツ「ツ、テ篠・テ?ツ。ツシツ・テ督。ツシツ、テイツイツソツスティツ、ツォツ、テ?クテクツウツォツ、ツキツ、ツソツ、ツ、ツ、テ按サテ猟、テδ、テ?、ツ、ツ、ツ・ツ」

KENTARO YOSHINO

I heard I can just use yahoo japan, but I can't read the Japanese to get it set up. Please help if you can

You can use Yahoo Mail. The browser encoding has to be set to the proper encoding when sending (and reading) the mail. View->Encoding->SJIS (for example).

EDIT: Your example above looks like broken EUC... most likely broken b/c when browsing this site it will set the encoding to SJIS by default.

GaijinPunch said:
You can use Yahoo Mail. The browser encoding has to be set to the proper encoding when sending (and reading) the mail. View->Encoding->SJIS (for example).

EDIT: Your example above looks like broken EUC... most likely broken b/c when browsing this site it will set the encoding to SJIS by default.

Great, I'm glad to hear I can use it. I can't find the "view" anywhere. Do you mean "right click" "Select the encoding" "Select SJIS?"?

I have tried that, to no avail. It still mumbo jumbo. How do I read it?

GaijinPunch -- Just wanted to thank you for that bit about encoding, because I was having trouble viewing Japanese characters only on certain sites; the problem is fixed now. 😌

GaijinPunch said:
Your example above looks like broken EUC... most likely broken b/c when browsing this site it will set the encoding to SJIS by default.

That means that the site already set the encoding to SJIS which got you the mojibake. It was supposed to be EUC("looks like broken EUC") so you need to set the encoding to that.

I saved what you have to notepad and viewed it in mozilla firefox setting the encoding to EUC and got this:(some characters were still messed up)

ナ?CテェC窶鼎窶呂あEあ 窶笛窶堙溪?堙??堋ュあE窶慊「ツ?「テ・ツ「あ窶敖「ニ椎クあ ナスナク窶堙坂?堙懌?堋ス窶「テ岩?堙娯?堙?窶堙娯?堙ー窶ーテウ窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋キツ。ナ?y窶堋オ窶堙昶?堙俄?堋オ窶堙??堋「窶堙??堋ュ窶堋セ窶堋ウ 窶堋「ツ。 PSP窶堙ー窶ーテウ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶堙債、ナス窶樞?堙固スg窶堙≫?堙??堋「あE窶ケ@ナスツ」ヒ愬クナスツ「あツ?」あナスD ツ垢窶殿邃「C窶楪「テ・CあEツ最クああああE窶凖「ナス~窶堋キあEあ窶鼎窶「ツ「窶僂窶慊「ナ辰ナクツ「窶僂ツ拭あ ニ探ツーニ弛ツー窶堋ェ窶堋?あEヒ愬クツ?「ツ?「窶板」テ?ナクナスツ」ナ。@ナスツ「テゥツーツ申テ、ツ「あ窶抔ああナ辰ツ燭あ 窶堙?スv窶堙≫?堙??堋「あE

That makes a lot more sense even with the extra stuff and I think that when using yahoo mail, if you set the encoding to EUC-JP or Japanese(EUC) or whatever they call it in your browser then it will come up correctly. SJIS and EUC are both standards that you need to try. Some sites will use Unicode too. Especially if it has characters other than japanese/chinese/korean. Try every encoding until it looks right.

McCrutch67 said:
That means that the site already set the encoding to SJIS which got you the mojibake. It was supposed to be EUC("looks like broken EUC") so you need to set the encoding to that.

I saved what you have to notepad and viewed it in mozilla firefox setting the encoding to EUC and got this:(some characters were still messed up)

ナ?CテェC窶鼎窶呂あEあ 窶笛窶堙溪?堙??堋ュあE窶慊「ツ?「テ・ツ「あ窶敖「ニ椎クあ ナスナク窶堙坂?堙懌?堋ス窶「テ岩?堙娯?堙?窶堙娯?堙ー窶ーテウ窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋キツ。ナ?y窶堋オ窶堙昶?堙俄?堋オ窶堙??堋「窶堙??堋ュ窶堋セ窶堋ウ 窶堋「ツ。 PSP窶堙ー窶ーテウ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶慊ョ窶ーテヲ窶堙債、ナス窶樞?堙固スg窶堙≫?堙??堋「あE窶ケ@ナスツ」ヒ愬クナスツ「あツ?」あナスD ツ垢窶殿邃「C窶楪「テ・CあEツ最クああああE窶凖「ナス~窶堋キあEあ窶鼎窶「ツ「窶僂窶慊「ナ辰ナクツ「窶僂ツ拭あ ニ探ツーニ弛ツー窶堋ェ窶堋?あEヒ愬クツ?「ツ?「窶板」テ?ナクナスツ」ナ。@ナスツ「テゥツーツ申テ、ツ「あ窶抔ああナ辰ツ燭あ 窶堙?スv窶堙≫?堙??堋「あE

That makes a lot more sense even with the extra stuff and I think that when using yahoo mail, if you set the encoding to EUC-JP or Japanese(EUC) or whatever they call it in your browser then it will come up correctly. SJIS and EUC are both standards that you need to try. Some sites will use Unicode too. Especially if it has characters other than japanese/chinese/korean. Try every encoding until it looks right.

Thank you, do you the above japanese is good enough to be read?

McCrutch67 said:

I tried viewing it on notepad in internet exporer but it didnt work. Should I get that firefox browser? Is it better than IE? Is it free?
Thanks

Finally! I Didd It! Yes!

I DID IT! I am so happy. I can finally read it now. Now I need someone who can help me read it! 😅

こんにちわ。
褒めてくれてありがとう。

次はまた別のものを壊します。楽しみにしていてください。

PSPを壊した動画は、私の使っているサーバーがアクセスに耐えられず、公開を
停止する事になってしまった。

サーバーがあれば、あのムービーを何処かで公開したいと思っている。

KENTARO YOSHINO

<>

It says

"Hello. Thank you for the praise. Next time I'm going to break something else. Look forward to it. I can't host the video of me breaking the PSP because the server can't take all of the access, so it isn't viewable anymore. If I had a server, I'd like to host that movie somewhere."

And I'm sure you can read the name. :p

Glenn said:
It says

"Hello. Thank you for the praise. Next time I'm going to break something else. Look forward to it. I can't host the video of me breaking the PSP because the server can't take all of the access, so it isn't viewable anymore. If I had a server, I'd like to host that movie somewhere."

Thanks, I am going to send you a private message. Thanks again

Glenn said:
It says

Glenn-san, please help me with a response to him, here is what I want to say:
Hello KENTARO YOSHINO-san
Any luck with the video? Were you finally able to host it? I sent you an email along time ago.. I live in america and I saw your video and I liked it alot. Thank you for the kind email. I was also wondering if you had broken something else since the last email?

Thank you.
Sincerly,
~Kevin

Back
Top Bottom