What's new

Mojibake (Garbled text) thread

Elizabeth

先輩
22 Apr 2003
Keeni84, I was able to get the first line in your last message but apparently unable to post a reply in that corrupted thread. I'm no fonder of romaji than the next guy, so really hope this doesn't drag on too long. One mistake, I did notice, though, was that "hajimemashite" should be the other kanji. I'm just wary of actually writing it out here and keeping this bug alive. :p

Okay, thanks! I wrote a response on the Mojibake thread but it hasn't come up yet. I don't understand what the problem is...It doesn't seem to be my encoding, because I am able to write in Japanese anywhere besides here! I am so confused!

Thanks for the suggestion, BTW. I always get confused with the readings. :)

I think the encoding problem is definately restricted to the forum. I've had no problem with outside emailing at all. As for "hajimemashite," one way to remember is that it is just for when you meet someone for the first time and that other way of writing also means "the first time. ;)

Dou itashimashite. The main use for the kanji you had is for the verbs begin, "hajimaru" and "hajimeru" or "hajimari." First time (hajimete), first of all (hajime ni) or beginning (hajime) is the other way. Hopefully it will be clearer when we can write again :p.

Elizabeth said:
I think the encoding problem is definately restricted to the forum. I've had no problem with outside emailing at all.
I've started a thread in the Site & Forum Updates forum (didn't spot this one till too late). If anybody has a problem entering / displaying Japanese text could they please state what browser / OS / Encoding they were using and any other relevant points. [E.g. Internet Explorer, Windows XP, Japanese (Shift-JIS), using 'Quick Reply' box]

My understanding of the situation with users of IE and Win XP is that
a) You will have to use Western European unless using the quick reply button.
b) Your Japanese text (when entered with Western European encoding) will be stored in unicode form and should display properly whatever encoding is selected to view them.
c) You will have to manually change the encoding every time you want to view a thread that has posts that aren't in unicode form

Back
Top Bottom