What's new

Daily luxuries

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
11 Mar 2005
Do you allow yourself an extravagant luxury everyday?

I just treated myself to an espresso machine. It's middle range, which cost about one week's wages for me! I got a coffee grinder too.

The ritual of grinding the beans, priming the machine and heating the filter takes about 10 minutes, all for that tiny cup of super-strong coffee. I find the whole process indulgent and relaxing, making the coffee is almost as good as drinking it :p

What's your daily indulgence?

Hmm.. daily indulgences can become expensive! I actually prefer to save.. I'm a bit of a hoarder. Then, I look at what I have left over after I pay bills and kind of rub my hands together and say to myself 'good job on the savings, now lets spend!'

Usually my daily splurges are related to food & drink. A meal out here, a snack there, etc.
I'm more of a monthly splurger, I usually see one item every month or two months I really want. Let's see.. last month it was a navigation unit for my car. Nothing too expensive, just a basic model.

Few months ago I got a new cell phone, a SoftBank imported from Japan! (check my blog!).

A few days ago I bought some new clothes..

About 3 months ago I got some new gear for the gym, new set of 16oz. Hayabusa sparring gloves, a set of Boen shin guards, new wraps and shorts, etc.

During the summer I upgraded the stereo in my car (that was expensive and a dumb move on my part because I couldn't actually afford it, put it on credit!)

But mostly I spend on going out with friends and doing things. Dinners, shows, events, outings, whatever.

Ultimately, I'm sure I sound like a capitalist consumer swine but I just want to add this: few of us in life are lucky enough to be safely housed and fed, let alone provided with a disposable income. I don't really want to be one of those people who saves and hoards their money uselessly because I could die tomorrow without ever having enjoyed myself. I'm planning on going back to Japan relatively soon - that will involve spending money too as Japan is just as expensive to live in as anywhere else in the developed world. Doesn't make sense to sit in Japan saving up cash and not doing things.. last time I was in Japan I ate out almost every night, I went spend-crazy. I was still able to accumulate a reasonable amount of savings, albeit less than other teachers. But comparatively speaking, those other teachers hadn't travelled and gone site-seeing nearly as much as I had. Their lives seemed quite boring.

So the way I see it instead of denying yourself fun it's best to spend within reason, spread it around, buy stuff for your friends too (which I do), treat people to dinners, generally just enjoy yourself and not worry too much about saving. You'll end up with a zillion bucks in the bank and a head and photo album void of good memories and experiences.

My water heater broke, so I'm replacing it with a tankless system like the one my host family had. Pretty soon, my daily indulgence will be a hot shower.

I'm more like bakaKanadajin in the sense that I'll splurge once a month or so to get something I really want. This month it was a snowboard and a new bike that I'll be indulging in quite soon.

An espresso machine would be worth the money. Yay Tsuyoiko! If I took the time to do the math I am sure I would come out ahead if I bought and actually used an espresso machine. I go to Starbucks at least 4 times a week. It's about 8 dollars for 2 lattes for me and my husband. Yikes that's a lot of money! I just know that I would buy one and maybe use it and *still* buy a coffee when I am out and about. There is something about going in and ordering a nice fresh cup.

Man, that's against the law in Canada. In fact landlords are mandated by law to keep temperatures at at least 21*C in apartments.

I meant "In the Michigan winter?" As I understand it's quite harsh. Thank you for the perspective.

Daily luxury? Hmm! Well, for me, that would be my hi-def TV. Being an incurable couch potato, watching high definition programming is cool times ten!

👍

Hmm, I prefer to spare myself. If I want something, I want it at that very moment, or at least fast. On the other hand im a rather economic person. I eat what im given, I drink what I find, even though I have a bed, I could sleep on the floor without a problem. But when I want something im nagging my parents till that thing appears in my room. Whenever I want a book I just go and tell them that I need it, and my parents know too that since I only spend on things im going to use, they buy it without much persuasion. Although I had to collect cash for around 8 months to buy my PS3.

Back
Top Bottom