What's new

Curious to know foreigners living in Japan

kamikaze_sg

後輩
3 Jun 2007
Hi,
I wonder how long forum-members here, already live, work or study in Japan?
Cause i noticed some joined this forum years ago, and posted thousands of replies......
And the flags showed no Hinomaru, so i assume they had left Japan......
Curious to know how's lives living in Japan.....
Thanks 😌

Hi,

Cause i noticed some joined this forum years ago, and posted thousands of replies......
And the flags showed no Hinomaru, so i assume they had left Japan......

Why would you assume they had been in Japan at all?

Because if you can talk alot about Japan you have to have lived there???????

So Mike, how is lives living in Japan?

Curious to know how's lives living in Japan.....
Every story is different. Been here almost 9 years myself. My situation is likely quite different from the next person's.

What exactly are you curious about?

Every story is different. Been here almost 9 years myself. My situation is likely quite different from the next person's.
What exactly are you curious about?
I have been here about 8 years or more. Glenski , what makes your situation unique? B/c I feel the same way about my situation. (just curious).😌

Because if you can talk alot about Japan you have to have lived there???????

So Mike, how is lives living in Japan?

Yes, i felt the same as Damicci......

Because the longest time i ever stay in Tokyo was 2 months, that was many years ago when i visited my g/f, now my wife.
Now i just return to Japan once a year to visit my in-laws, spent about 10 days there.
So every visit, to me is just like a holidays for relaxation. That's why i am curious to know real-life living in Japan.
I don't have the chance to experience it, even though my wife is Japanese cause she prefer living in Singapore......
I always wish i can live in Japan, so that i can study Japanese language and experience working there.....

I have been here about 8 years or more. Glenski , what makes your situation unique? B/c I feel the same way about my situation. (just curious).😌
Hi Dave,
My situation in a nutshell:
Came as a break from another career (in scientific research), worked eikaiwa, then high school, now university (all as English teaching jobs, of course). Married to a Japanese and have a child. Uniqueness is my job and its requirements (MS in science, not English-teaching related field). I live in Hokkaido, and until last weekend when I attended a conference in Tokyo, I had not been off Hokkaido in almost 9 years.

Back to you...

Hi Dave,
My situation in a nutshell:
Came as a break from another career (in scientific research), worked eikaiwa, then high school, now university (all as English teaching jobs, of course). Married to a Japanese and have a child. Uniqueness is my job and its requirements (MS in science, not English-teaching related field). I live in Hokkaido, and until last weekend when I attended a conference in Tokyo, I had not been off Hokkaido in almost 9 years.
Back to you...
Yes I can say that is very unique and I envy your carrer in scientific research.

I came almost 9 years ago as a break from my life where I used to live and from day one worked in a typical Japanese company. I knew no Japanese before I came and it was sink or swim situation. I gradualy picked the langauge and also got married and had some kids. From there I started my own business with help from the wife in the medical suplies industry and now I am also involved with the elderly. From day one I have been thrown in the deep end and appreciate every bit of hardship and experience that I have had. I also have to go all over the place to attend lectures, part of the job, but I do enjoy it b/c it gives me a chance to do something different. 窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙娯?「テ冷?ケツュ窶堙坂?堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堙懌?堋オ窶堋ス窶堋ゥツ。

Hey, where are you loafing? I meant which city or prefecture you are relaxing.....👍👍

Right now im in Tokyo
Takanawa to be exact.

So far i've stayed in Yoyogi/Shirokane Dai/Hiro/Roppongi/and now Takanawa.

So far my Takanawa apartment is the biggest for the price.

roppongi is really nice but its way expensive =P

I live in Hokkaido, and until last weekend when I attended a conference in Tokyo, I had not been off Hokkaido in almost 9 years.
Back to you...
That's a mighty long time in one 'Japanese' place! I feel bad that I haven't been to the UK in four years - not that I'm desperate to see the country of my birth, I just think it's something I have to do to 're-partition my English hard disk' every once in a while. It's also about time I installed 'English OS' on my son - if only for three weeks.

Curious to know: How many lifers (with family) have had their parent(s) or siblings visit them here - and on how many occasions and during what time-span?

My tally is one visit in (at that time) ten years from my parents in 2005 (should have been 2003 but that huge false alarm called SARS intervened).
--

Curious to know: How many lifers (with family) have had their parent(s) or siblings visit them here - and on how many occasions and during what time-span?
My parents are dreadfully afraid of flying. Neither came for my wedding. Only after 8 years did my mother muster up the courage to fly here for 2 weeks. It was the first time for her to meet my wife and son, even though she'd spoken to each one VERY briefly on the phone a few times. Skype gives us the advantage of using video when calling, so she saw my son a couple of times, and I think that was the final straw. Sadly, she lives in an area where there is poor Internet connections, so she can't use video on Skype, and she has to resort to driving many hours to another relative's house in order to do that.

Three of my closest friends came for my wedding, but other than that, nobody has ever come here. Fear of flying (as with my wife, which partially explains why we never left Hokkaido).

I'm not a lifer... but it always annoyed me that my parents would go and visit my stepmother's daughter in Hawaii, but never considered visiting me in Japan... I mean... it's not that much futher... pshaw...

That's a mighty long time in one 'Japanese' place!

Geez if that's a long time then I must have one foot in the grave, I've been living basically in the same place here in Okinawa for 20 years.:(🙂

And like the man wrote, each situation is different.

Geez if that's a long time then I must have one foot in the grave, I've been living basically in the same place here in Okinawa for 20 years.:(🙂
And like the man wrote, each situation is different.

I meant without ever leaving at all - even for short trip to Guam or somewhere similar! Or do you mean that too?

--

Nobody. Never. Ever.

I've never understood making frequent trips back home. I have always noticed that the people who seem to have the greatest trouble adapting to life in Japan are those who make a trip back home once or twice a year. Hard to have your heart and soul in the place when your a$$ is bouncing in and out. I tend to make the trip about once a decade or so. Last time I was out of Japan was 1999. No trip planned or envisioned in the near or far future.

I live in Kobe since a year, together with my Japanese wife. We have met each other in Australia, had a distance relationship for 2 years ( I know people who have had a longer distance relationship) and decided to move to Japan last year.

My parents and my brother visited me last March for my wedding ceremony and they stayed for about 2/3 weeks.

I have only been here in Sendai for a little more than year (haven`t really been very active here during that time). I just ended up here without any real planing, I had a pretty boring life in Sweden working as an electrition and were saving money to move some were, I had my eyes on New York, but after finding a cool website I went for a language school here in Sendai. Now I'm here living a rather normal life happier than ever.
I'm currently working like hell on memorizing kanji for the 2kyu test and studying math, physics, and chemistry for the university entrance exam.
I have no plans to go back to Sweden or go there for a visit even, since I brook all bands with everyone except my parents and they will come here to visit in September.
I might end up a lifer but its too early to say, ill stay here as long as i like it and can, and it if turns that way ill move somewhere else

Back
Top Bottom