What's new

Credit Card

Elgin

先輩
23 Oct 2003
Anyone know if it`s possible for a exchange student to get a credit card in Japan? I picked up a Lawson credit card info card but since i`m 18 i need my real parents signature to get it. Is it the same every where?

I'm sure it is.

But do you really want one? Where are you living in Japan? I'm constantly frustrated by the lack of places I can use it. Granted, I live in the boonies now. Take this for example: In my town there are 2 supermarkets, 6 restaurants, 3 cleaners, 1 drugstore, 2 convience stores, and NOT A SINGLE ONE TAKES A CREDIT CARD.

:banghead:

This drives me nuts.

Most likely you won't get one evev if you have your parents sign the form. It is quite difficult for working foreigners to get one here so doubt they would give it to anyone without an income.

A coworker and I both applied to the same company for a visa card. We had similar working records and credit histories in our own country. I got it and he didn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason at times - it can come down to the luck of who processed your application. When he enquired they wouldn'T give a reason why he was denied.

Get a debit card, less hassel

In Japan tho, cash is supreme. Plus whats the problem with having cash anyway?

Luc said:
Anyone know if it`s possible for a exchange student to get a credit card in Japan? I picked up a Lawson credit card info card but since i`m 18 i need my real parents signature to get it. Is it the same every where?

Why should you have any problem getting a credit card at 18 ? I got one since I was 12.

Ewok85 said:
Get a debit card, less hassel

Debit cards (Cirrus, Maestro, etc.) dont exist in Japan (one of the rare developed countries in the world where it doesn't).

They have only started this year the rechargeable cards (they call it "Eddy" and it only works in some combini and very few other places). We've had a similar system in Europe for at least 8 years.

Good point with Japanese CC is that they have points to incite customers using them, which is unnecessary in Europe.

I want a credit card to sell some of my stuff on Yahoo auction. I picked up a lot of info at UFJ, just wanted to hear if other people had one.

Back
Top Bottom