What's new

Cookie notice

Majestic

先輩
12 Oct 2013
Hello,
Each time I open up JREF, I get the cookie acceptance window. Is there a way I can flag this so that I don't get this acceptance notice each time?

Hi Majestic, this should only happen when you access the page as a guest. Following GDPR requirements we have to display the cookie message every time someone visits the site. I shouldn't tell you, but you can actually log in without accepting the terms...

One could argue why we have to adhere to the GDPR at all (administration in Japan, server hosted in the US), but we do have a significant amount members from EU countries who have to agree formally to our cookie usage. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Why not just get rid of the cookie notice completely? I can't imagine anyone in authority in Europe would care anything about this forum in Japan. Anyway, for a first offense it's just a warning, right?

The whole thing is bollocks. Am I going to have to endlessly click these notices on every website I visit until the day I die? It's a totally ridiculous regulation, if you ask me.

cm.jpg

OK - I see. I usually browse as a guest. I don't like to stay logged on. I guess I'm stuck dealing with the pop-up. Thanks for the reply.

Why not just get rid of the cookie notice completely? I can't imagine anyone in authority in Europe would care anything about this forum in Japan. Anyway, for a first offense it's just a warning, right? The whole thing is bollocks. Am I going to have to endlessly click these notices on every website I visit until the day I die? It's a totally ridiculous regulation, if you ask me.

We will have to wait for the first GDPR-related court cases, but I agree that all those cookie disclaimer messages are a nuisance. And if you think GDPR is bollocks take a look at the planned EU Copyright Directive which will fortunately not affect smaller platforms.

OK - I see. I usually browse as a guest. I don't like to stay logged on. I guess I'm stuck dealing with the pop-up. Thanks for the reply.

Very sorry about that. I'll try to make the pop-up less conspicuous. Another option would be to stay logged on, but to make your forum presence "invisible" (there's an option in the settings).

There is another option.

There are a number of browser add-ons these days that help you to tweak the way webpages are displayed. You can, for example, zero in on a particular portion of a page, and simply hide it from being displayed. Such a method should work perfectly in this situation.

These add-ons even have interfaces designed to help you do this with minimal effort.

I don't keep up with this technology, so cannot tell you the latest popular products, but there are add-ons at least for Firefox and Chrome browsers. I think that UBlock might be one of the popular ones now. I used greasemonkey in the past.

joadbres has nailed this one perfectly --- there are a number of quite safe software applications (Sorry, I hate that word 'app'.) --- a number of tools for dealing with the requirements related to cookie notices.

And I am going to have folks jump all over me for this, but that EU regulation is broader in scope than many wish to consider. There are reasons that certain laws have to be placed in the books that relate to the broader issues of Net security. The judges, and scholars that influence the decision-makers in the judicial systems, want certain laws enacted so those same judges have some power to deal with the criminal elements that are growing and growing in this new Net World. It is a very, very complicated dance and citizens of the Net are inconvenienced, yes, but for a good cause.

It is sort of like the speed limit on certain kinds of roads in the brick-and-mortar world. Folks feel inconvenienced, but the speed limits aid in that forever trouble of safety.

Back
Top Bottom