Connecting adjectives

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Can you check my example.

私のアパートはせまくてふるいです

What I'm learning here is adjective with くて and adjective ending with です。
In this example, I don't know the kanji semakute, does it mean small or narrow. I know furui means old.
So is my example correct. I'm also using the "イ" adjectives.

also on this kute, can that mean like "and" in this case?

"semakute" comes from "semai"

One of the skills you have to develop is how to reverse-engineer things so you can find them in their dictionary form so you can look them up.

"Kanji" are the Chinese symbols/characters used to write Japanese words. It isn't the Japanese word for "Japanese word". There were zero kanji in your post.

Yes, the "-kute" ending used to join adjectives has the same meaning as "and". Just don't make a mistake by thinking it quite literally means "and" and trying to use it to join nouns or other things. You will find it used on verb endings in a later lesson.

"semakute" comes from "semai"

One of the skills you have to develop is how to reverse-engineer things so you can find them in their dictionary form so you can look them up.

"Kanji" are the Chinese symbols/characters used to write Japanese words. It isn't the Japanese word for "Japanese word". There were zero kanji in your post.

Yes, the "-kute" ending used to join adjectives has the same meaning as "and". Just don't make a mistake by thinking it quite literally means "and" and trying to use it to join nouns or other things. You will find it used on verb endings in a later lesson.

Thanks, Mike.
Kanji wasn't provided for semakute so I just guessed that it would mean narrow or small, but I think in this case it probably means small.
Yes, the dictionary forum is what I'm lacking, but daily I'm getting a bit better at it with the words I'm learning. You mentioned, I need to focus on words, and yes, I'm taking that advice at heart.

I lost the private message thing, not sure how to start it up again, maybe I have to be a donor? Which in the future I most certainly will.

Good job. Your use of the grammar was on point. 👍

I would recommend really learning how to , as Mike said, "Reverse-engineer."

It really has helped me as I have been learning. It is so useful to be able to see a word in the て form, or any other, and be able to figure out its dictionary form. A good portion of my vocabulary I have learned is from me hearing or reading a word that was not in its dictionary form and "reverse-engineering" it back to the dictionary form.

Like how you could see おおくて and figure out it is おおい. This is the kanji for it 多い. It is a い adjective and it means " many or numerous."

One last thing is I recommend you start using kanji as much as possible. It is actually easier to tell what is going on when the kanji are there. Using 多い again for my example おおくて is harder to tell what it actually is in a full sentence where as 多くて is easier to tell what it is when used with the rest of the sentence.

Taking your example
私のアパートは狭くて古いです。
わたしのアパートはせまくてふるいです。

The second sentence is harder to tell where one word ends and another begins or where particles are. I know the kanji are difficult, but it is easier to start using them now than later. I made the mistake of trying to avoid kanji when I started and it bit me in the butt later because I had to go back and re-learn lots of words in their proper kanji form.

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck in your studies!

Good job. Your use of the grammar was on point. 👍

I would recommend really learning how to , as Mike said, "Reverse-engineer."

It really has helped me as I have been learning. It is so useful to be able to see a word in the て form, or any other, and be able to figure out its dictionary form. A good portion of my vocabulary I have learned is from me hearing or reading a word that was not in its dictionary form and "reverse-engineering" it back to the dictionary form.

Like how you could see おおくて and figure out it is おおい. This is the kanji for it 多い. It is a い adjective and it means " many or numerous."

One last thing is I recommend you start using kanji as much as possible. It is actually easier to tell what is going on when the kanji are there. Using 多い again for my example おおくて is harder to tell what it actually is in a full sentence where as 多くて is easier to tell what it is when used with the rest of the sentence.

Taking your example
私のアパートは狭くて古いです。
わたしのアパートはせまくてふるいです。

The second sentence is harder to tell where one word ends and another begins or where particles are. I know the kanji are difficult, but it is easier to start using them now than later. I made the mistake of trying to avoid kanji when I started and it bit me in the butt later because I had to go back and re-learn lots of words in their proper kanji form.

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck in your studies!

Thanks, Zuba.
Kanji isn't being taught yet, although it is quietly being wrote on the board, but the teachers haven't said "learn this kanji". I think their method of teaching is "it's here, just follow me if you want and when the time comes, you'll be further ahead". There wasn't a kanji for this example for "せまくて"、 so it was a bit confusing, like what does this word really mean. The other word, "ふくい" I knew what that one meant.

Thanks for taking the time in writing out what you did to help me along.

This is what I'm studying now. I'll post what I've completed as I go along. not looking for the answer, but like if I did it wrong, where can I get additional info.

Attachments

• PA190008.JPG
    PA190008.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 263
Do you understand the material at the top of the right hand page? Do you understand that there are two different types of adjectives in Japanese? Do you understand the difference and get the point the example sentences are making regarding joining them in different configurations?

Do you understand the material at the top of the right hand page? Do you understand that there are two different types of adjectives in Japanese? Do you understand the difference and get the point the example sentences are making regarding joining them in different configurations?

So far I understand that there are 2 types of adjectives, the イand ナ types.

The イ けいようし + the イ/ナけいようし example on the left is using the kute and then the desu.
Is the negative for semakute is semakunai and the negative for furui is furukunaidesu?

semakute: -te form
semakunai: non-polite negative
furukunaidesu: polite negative

You'd better to unify forms. (What is the dictionary form of semakute? That's exactly "reverse-engineer.")

semakute: -te form
semakunai: non-polite negative
furukunaidesu: polite negative

You'd better to unify forms. (What is the dictionary form of semakute? That's exactly "reverse-engineer.")

Thanks, toritoribe.
The reverse-engineer thing is got to be the secret here to learning all these words.

This is what I'm studying now. I'll post what I've completed as I go along. not looking for the answer, but like if I did it wrong, where can I get additional info.

Connecting adjectives | Japan Forum

On れんしゅう 1Can you guys check my work. Thanks

私の車は {白い} (小さい) Watashi no kurma wa shirokute chisai desu
山口は (しずか) {きれい} Yamguchi wa shizukute kireidesu
山本さんは (しんせつ) (やさしい) Yamamoto san shinsetsuna yasashiidesu

私の車は {白い} (小さい) Watashi no kurma wa shirokute chisai desu

Good, but chiisai...not chisai.

Kuruma...not kurma.

山口は (しずか) {きれい} Yamguchi wa shizukute kireidesu

Shizuka is not an -i adjective. It doesn't take -kute. Try it again.

山本さんは (しんせつ) (やさしい) Yamamoto san shinsetsuna yasashiidesu

You forgot to make an important change there. Try it again.

watashi no kuruma wa shirokute chiisai desu

Yamguchi wa shizukana kire idesu

Yamamoto san wa shinsetsuna yasashii desu

First one good.

The others...look at the second example on the second page. It shows the change you need to make.

Yamguchi wa shizukaで kire idesu

Yamamoto san wa shinsetsuで yasashii desu

Is that correct?

I would like to encourage you to go beyond the textbook and practice creating some sentences on your own using the targeted structures.

I would like to encourage you to go beyond the textbook and practice creating some sentences on your own using the targeted structures.

Mike, that's the only true way that I'll understand it. I totally agree and that's my next working point on this forum. I have to jump in and start doing it. Although this isn't part of my lesson, how is this...
ごしんせつにありがとうござます for sticking in here with me. I hope by now you know that, yes, "I'm that person with given a chance just isn't going to give up. I'll post part 2 of the lesson. I think I nailed it, but I'll soon find out.
I got my study plan down today, consist of volcabulary, some grammar points and conversation.
When I post about your suggestion, I'll do it in an A B dialogue. I hate just put it down in a sentence, prefer a conversation type structure in my learning.

I'll start doing this by Monday. Sooner if possible, but Monday for sure.

Oh, and again, that's for all your help. I know you are putting in a lot of time on this and it is most appreciated.

You're more than welcome. I'm happy to put in whatever effort it takes to help you make progress, just so long as I see you hanging in there and hammering at it yourself.

By all means, any work you do on your own or things directly from your lesson materials, post them here and I or someone else will check them for you and try to help you get the hang of it.

Part 2 of lesson page 26

日本語は(むずがしい) (おもしろい) 日本語 はむずがしいですが、おもしろいです。

あのレストランは (やすい) (おいしくない) あのレアストラン はやすいですが、おいしくない。

ダイヤモンドは (きれい) (たかい) ダイヤモンド はきれいですが、たかいです。

山口は (こうつう)がふべん)(しずか) 山口はこうつうがふべんなですが、しずかです。

日本のせいかつは(たいへん)たのし) にほのせいかつはたいへんなですが、たのしです。

山口は (こうつう)がふべん)(しずか) 山口はこうつうがふべんなですが、しずかです。

Problem on these two... You don't need the な on the な adjectives here, as they are followed immediately by です. The reason may make your head hurt.

You have learned です. As you may know, there is a "plain form" of です, which is だ. For historical reasons I don't pretend to understand, at some point in the past it was な in some cases. It has survived into modern usage with certain nouns, usually called "adjectival nouns"...the な adjectives from your lessons. Since its grammatical function/meaning is essentially equivalent to だ which is essentially equivalent to です, you don't use it with です. It would be like saying 静かですです。 The です does the work of the な. Same guy doing the same job, just wearing a different hat.

I highlighted a missed character in たのしい. Make sure you're getting all the characters in that are supposed to be there and make sure you are learning them correctly and pronouncing them correctly.

So たいへんです would be correct and たのしいです。 That one was a typo, I notice that now.

OK, I see now. Had to take another look at it.

Thanks Mike

tricky stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom