What's new

Concerts

11 May 2013
Has anyone been to any concerts in Japan? If so, who did you see?

I've heard that in Japan, the idea of a "headliner" isn't quite the same as in the US. I've heard instead that it is more like a few bands playing a concert together rather than the Opening Band->Support Band->Headliner heirarchy. Is this true?

I have never been to a concert in Japan before but planning on going to one next year... not a Japanese artist so I guess even after that I can't really reply on your question.

I guess it kind of depends on to what kind of concert you go to, if you go to a well known artist you will have the same kind of hierarchy. I have have been to a live performance of a friend of mine and at that time there were 5 different bands in 3 hours, but they are not a well known band.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. You know, I've just heard things, I haven't gotten to go experience Japan yet ;)

I go to concert in Japan almost every weekend!
I usually go see indie bands, so they're mostly playing live event where you have 5-6 bands and they all play 20-30 minutes each. Sometimes a band will arrange an event and then they kinda sorta become headliners, but they all play the same amount of time and the audience don't necessarily come to see "the headliner".
Sometimes bands will do a "one-man gig" or a "two-man gig" which means that there's more time for one or two bands, in this case there are usually no warm-up bands.
I've been to a few really big shows too, saw One Ok Rock at Budoukan and at Yokohama arena (also saw Bon Jovi at Tokyo Dome this week) and they didn't have warm-up bands either. I kinda get the feeling that Japanese don't usually know the concept of warm-up bands^^

Unrelated but are you from Norway?:p

I went to see Slayer in Japan. They all sat down and quietly listened to the music. They didn't mosh or anything.

That's their respect I think. That was the 80's mind you. Could have changed now.

I go to see visual bands fairly regularly and I would argue the idea that there's no hierarchy. True, there's no strict rule as to who will be playing when but there's generally a system of the less popular bands playing first.
Occasionally my bands like to shuffle around and confuse the order though.
I usually go to see ギルガメッシュorマイナス人生オーケストラ

Back
Top Bottom