What's new

chopsticks

Mars Man said:
Maybe to show off?
I certainly like to show off! When I am in India I also reject the offers of spoons and forks, I enjoy eating with the hand, when I eat Indian food - because it is intended to the consumed that way. I guess that I am using the hashi in Japan is both because I enjoy the challenge, like to show off and because I thereby indirectly send a message about my appreciation of Japanese food/culture. I guess that I sound awfully affected!😌

I don't know...sounds good to me !! And I agree, when eating real Indian food--except for Dhal or Cuddhi (not curry) and other soups--you've gotta use the hand to get the best flavor and satisfaction of eating.

I guess it could be the same for the chopsticks in many cases.

I know what you mean Ewok san !! lol !!!

Kara_Nari said:
Your korean friends chopsticks are like huge blocks of wood? Interesting, what part of Korea is she from? Everywhere I have been in Korea has been inundated with metal flat chopsticks. Or the 'wooden blocks' for cooking, but they really are VERY long, and not at all practical for eating with.
I would say that Chinese chopsticks (from my experience) most resemble huge blocks of wood.

Not sure what part she's from. Just know she's South Korean. But I know what you mean, in korean restaurants they always have long metal chopsticks which I hate using. But my roomie has these thick, short wooden ones that she uses at home. They are seriously the thickest i've ever seen. I found it weird too because it's the first time i've seen those types.

Kara_Nari said:
Your korean friends chopsticks are like huge blocks of wood? Interesting, what part of Korea is she from? Everywhere I have been in Korea has been inundated with metal flat chopsticks. Or the 'wooden blocks' for cooking, but they really are VERY long, and not at all practical for eating with.
Korea was the first place where I've ever used the metal chopsticks, I've never seen them anywhere else. That, and scisors, to cut meat into smaller pieces for cooking... you're probably well familiar with this, but I found it interesting.

I use chopsticks for chopstick foods which are mainly Asian foods except for those Asian countries who don't use chopsticks like India ( I know they use hands in India but in Western countries they use fork and spoon)ツ…etc. On the other hand I use Western utensils for Western foods mainly except certain Asian countries who adopted Western Utensils for eating like Thai, Indonesian...etc

Dissecting a big piece of meat doesn't happen that often in Chinese cuisine, either. Most of the time the stuff is chopped into little pieces, fit for chopstick use (that's one of my main criticisms at Chinese cuisine, because I hate all those bone smithereens in the meat).

I think this has to do with culture, in Western foods bones are often removed before serving. My husband cannot eat anything with bones or shells still on them before serving. I have to remove them for him to eat.:giggle:

Also, rice is difficult to pick up with chopstick (what?!). Let say fried rice, they are fried so they aren't sticky anymore so it's difficult to pick up a big chunk of rice intact with chopstick. You started out with a chunk of rice on your chopstick and they start to fall apart while you're moving the chunk to your mouth. By the time the chopsticks reached your mouth, there are only 1/3 or 1/4 of the original rice left when picking up from bowl.

This is why you eat East Asian foods with bowl close to your mouth.😊

Spoon works soooo much better in eating rice... anyways just some thought, maybe I am just bad at using chopstick

Yes, that's why you eat them with chopsticks plus spoon.:)

I have a pair of metal chopsticks at home but they are not plat though.
My husband bought them before I came into his life. I tried to use it once, *failed*, it's so heavy!:p

The chopsticks we have at home is Japanese, once again my husband bought them before I came into his life. In the home in Australia we also use Japanese ones because the chopsticks my mom bought are from Taiwan, a lot of their products are been influenced by Japan.:nihonjin:

Minty said:
This is why you eat East Asian foods with bowl close to your mouth.😊
Ooh, I hate this. That's why, when I visited China, I was always the last to finish. I only used the chopsticks for rice as you would for meat or stuff, never shoved it from the bowl into my mouth. So, when I finished my 1st bowl of rice, the father of my host family had eaten 3 already & was done.

Yeah...ditto on that one, bossel, I hate it too; and always tell my boys to stop it !! (Poor little Timothy has delveloped the bad habit of doing that with his PLATE...even for western food !! And he even does it (obviously unconsciously) when we eat out !! Oh my god....Timo...put that plate down..I say to him while turning red in the face and looking around to see if anyone had been watching.....

haah Mars Man thats so funny. Your son sounds like someone I would have liked been friends with when I was little.
I used to love wiping my finger on my plate to get every last little bit of sauce off (not quite licking the plate clean). I got that from my grandfather, because he would do it with a piece of bread after every meal. I was always too full, so just used my finger and sucked it off. Gross huh?!

Precious4e... secretly take a photo of your flatmates chopsticks, im really intrigued now! I want to see them!

Minty, I cant stand bones in meat either! I had a big problem in china with that. Here in Korea, I just dont eat at places I know will have bones in the chicken. There is one place though, because I know that the meat around the bone is going to be white and not browny coloured. Thats why I dont like bones though, and I dont want them in my mouth.
However Im not as fussy as I used to be.

bossel said:
Ooh, I hate this. That's why, when I visited China, I was always the last to finish. I only used the chopsticks for rice as you would for meat or stuff, never shoved it from the bowl into my mouth. So, when I finished my 1st bowl of rice, the father of my host family had eaten 3 already & was done.

Oh dear, you sound like my husband!:D I hope you have a girlfriend to peel off the bones for you.:p Wait; did they not give you a plate? You could even ask for a knife to cut out the pieces of meat on the plate, I did that for my husband.😊

Mars Man said:
Yeah...ditto on that one, bossel, I hate it too; and always tell my boys to stop it !! (Poor little Timothy has delveloped the bad habit of doing that with his PLATE...even for western food !! And he even does it (obviously unconsciously) when we eat out !! Oh my god....Timo...put that plate down..I say to him while turning red in the face and looking around to see if anyone had been watching.....

Well this is culture shock; some of the eating habits of the East can be quite unacceptable in the West.😊

Kara_Nari said:
haah Mars Man thats so funny. Your son sounds like someone I would have liked been friends with when I was little.
I used to love wiping my finger on my plate to get every last little bit of sauce off (not quite licking the plate clean). I got that from my grandfather, because he would do it with a piece of bread after every meal. I was always too full, so just used my finger and sucked it off. Gross huh?!
Precious4e... secretly take a photo of your flatmates chopsticks, im really intrigued now! I want to see them!

You know what?! When I will have my own child we will teach them both sides of table manners!

Minty, I cant stand bones in meat either! I had a big problem in china with that. Here in Korea, I just dont eat at places I know will have bones in the chicken. There is one place though, because I know that the meat around the bone is going to be white and not browny coloured. Thats why I dont like bones though, and I dont want them in my mouth.
However Im not as fussy as I used to be.

I see, I don't know much about Korean cusines does this have something to do with your upbringing? Is it Western or Korean? Do Koreans eat meat with bones in them?

Well the Chinese food I make don't have bones in them, you can make them without bones. But yes they don't necessarily do that in Chinese places or Chinese restaurants, but if you make your own you can control that.:p

The Korean metal chopsticks are the hardest to use, so i thought I better practice with them, so i did, and now they are my favorite! I use (metal) chopsticks for EVERYTHING - western food, Indian food, everything!

Is it ok to use your chopsticks in your left hand? I was just wondering as I can't use them in my right hand. I just don't have the coordination...I try though when no one is around to see the mess I make!

Back
Top Bottom