What's new

Cheapest way to ship books to Japan?

Emoni

先輩
20 Sep 2003
Ok, I'm heading back from graduate work... and with that comes books.

A lot of books.

I can't fit them all in my suitcases reasonably so I'm going to have to ship stuff. I was able to send things at a relatively reasonable price from Japan via surface mail, but from the US post office they are sending ONLY airmail so the price is much higher.

Does anyone have any advice or methods they used for shipping stuff?

www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english

They did flat rate per box last year for my girlfriend from the Midwest to Tokyo, I think it was around $600-$800 for 12 large boxes. Much cheaper than the post office, they wanted around $200+ per box.

Make sure you get a quote because our cost was lower than what the website stated.

Also they will bring you the boxes and return and pick them up when you are ready. Very convenient.

Also take a look at the USPS mailbag (M-bag) service. Mailbags are only for printed matters and they are priced far cheaper than regular shipment. I used it when I moved from Iowa to France. Now that I'm moving back to Japan, I'm thinking of using it again, this time from Belgium to Japan. Back in 2003, I paid around US$40 per box, each around 50lbs, I think.

Go to the post office at a quiet time of day and ask the clerk for advice. They are remarkably helpful when they don't "go postal". I was surprised at the many options, and if you don't need the books immediately, you just might find something good.

Just took a glance at the M-Bag service... looks like it might be doable. I sure hope so, because with no more surface mail the cost to send anything is INSANE. Add that to United's attempt to rip-off every customer possible with luggage costs, and you have a lot of difficulty.

Thanks all.

Don't use Japan Post EMS (Express Mail Service), use their "GROUND" Parcel service, the package will take 2-3 months before it arrives in the US though, since its going by ship.

Back
Top Bottom