What's new

Cheap PS2's in Japan?

topi

Go to Japan.
6 Apr 2004
Hey hey!
After playing Initial D version 2 in a motorway arcade I was hooked. A bit of reasearch showed that it was released on PS2 in Japan only.
Ive bee wanting a PS2 but not enough to purchase. Mainly for games such as GT3 etc. So the arrival of GT4 and my new found love Initial D I might be persuaded.
Can I pick up a PS2 much cheaper in Japan? And will UK games work on it?
New in the UK they are about ツ」190 which is about 35,212 YEN
Sayonara. 😄

Used, yes you can. I don't know about the encoding, but I hear rumors UK games can. Check that out before you drop any cash though...

yeah the thing is. japanese use NTSC ps2's which play everything, we use PAL which only plays PAL but has better quality. so they shud work, 20,000 yen is like $240 AUS so its only like $50 cheaper so for me its not worth it, i also already own a PS2.

before you do it make sure its REALLY worth it lol.

I never could make my mind up on which one to get, and I ended up getting the XBOX so no PS2 for me. Anyways if your PS2 wont play certain games, look into a MOD chip.

ツ」190 is very expensive.
Here on the mainland of Europe they're 竄ャ199 and in the US they're $199, which is even cheaper.

If you want the best bang for your buck i suggest you look in South-East Asia. I've seen PS2's in Thailand, fully modded to play any game and play any region DVD for less then $199.

ps2 is $179 currently -- and now that xbox is $149 (fye has it for $119 after rebate), it will probably drop to same during the week of e3, if not before
hth

Kuroki-Kaze said:
yeah the thing is. japanese use NTSC ps2's which play everything, we use PAL which only plays PAL but has better quality. so they shud work, 20,000 yen is like $240 AUS so its only like $50 cheaper so for me its not worth it, i also already own a PS2.

before you do it make sure its REALLY worth it lol.

Actually, the differences between NTSC and PAL are quite negligable, really.

I can say, I have seen both and would have to say that NTSC is my preffered format. Something seems 'off' when things are viewed in PAL.

It won't matter soon when HDTV becomes the worldwide standard anyways.

@the original poster, go to www.thegiantstore.com and look for the flip top mod for ps2. If you are in the US, then it replaces the cover of you ps2 with no need to chip it and you can run anything you want off of boot discs. I got this for mine after being in Japan last summer and seeing Initial D Special Stage for PS2 and needing to have it.

I've had mine over a year and no problems with it.

Ant

Back
Top Bottom