What's new

Carrying passport at all times?

Maciamo said:
That would never happen here. You need to breach the law to get the police to do something here. And sometimes that's not even enough, they need a complaint from someone, or you really have to do something to provoke them just under their noses...

I think the key phrase was "What if....?" Meaning, that it probably wouldn't happen, but what if it did?

pika la said:
Yea, I was wondering that too.
Since I do loose everything I never brought my passport anywhere but the airport. Though I always kept a photocopy in my wallet...usually. I never got asked for even that though. =)
I haven't either since it isn't a process of random checks and interrogation. If you can stick to walking extremely safe, well travelled business or quiet residential neighborhoods during the day not moving in a way that would draw any scrutiny -- I think your chances are extremely low.

出入国管理及び難民認定法

Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act Chapter Ⅳ Section Ⅱ says,
Article 23​

Any alien in Japan shall carry on his person at all times the passport, or provisional landing permit, crewman's landing permit, emergency landing permit, landing permit due to disaster, landing permit for temporary refuge or permit for provisional stay. However, this shall not apply if the alien carries on his person the certificate of alien registration under the Alien Registration Law (Law No.125 of 1952).

2. The alien stipulated in the preceding paragraph shall show his passport or permit specified in the same paragraph to an immigration inspector, immigration control officer, police official, maritime safety official or any other official of the state or local public entity as provided for by a Ministry of Justice ordinance, if such an official requests the presentation of the passport or permit in the performance of his duties.

3. The official stipulated in the preceding paragraph shall, in cases where he requests the presentation of the passport or permit provided for in Paragraph 1, carry with him an identification card showing his official status and produce it upon request.

4. The provision of the first sentence of Paragraph 1 shall not apply to an alien under 16 years of age.

CC1 said:
I think the key phrase was "What if....?" Meaning, that it probably wouldn't happen, but what if it did?

And isn't the proper way to answer a "what if" question to use "would", like I did ?

You keep making slightly confrontational comments against me that do not contribute to the thread. Why ?

Actually I was trying to get you to contribute to the thread by actually thinking about "what if" this happened to your wife! You didn't actually answer, you instead said that it would not happen here. I wasn't being confrontational, you took it that way, I was merely hoping that you would go back and actually answer the question for once.

**in addition** You usually do not answer "what if" questions because you say they are not logical...it wouldn't happen so why should I answer? That is the purpose of a "what if" scenario...to make you think as you probably wouldn't otherwise. If you read your post, you never answered the question, you merely gave reasons why it wouldn't happen.

CC1 said:
**in addition** You usually do not answer "what if" questions because you say they are not logical...it wouldn't happen so why should I answer? That is the purpose of a "what if" scenario...to make you think as you probably wouldn't otherwise. If you read your post, you never answered the question, you merely gave reasons why it wouldn't happen.

:? I never said that I didn't answer "what if" questions. I never said they were logical or illogical (it's irrelevant). So you continue to make up things about me, right ?

Point being you still haven't answered it, now you took the thread off topic. You mentioned those things before...not in this thread.

It's good to have, though in 5 months in Japan, I never got talked to or even really glanced at by the police. Maybe they think a 6' white guy with a redhead ponytail sticks out too much to not carry a passport :)

One of the few times I went out without it, I needed to present it at my rental company. If you need it for anything official it can save a lot of time to just have it with you.

I was asked two times for passort or AT LEAST an ID Card. One time was at night in Ginza by two walking policemen, the second time was when I was looking for the Bandai Museum.. I went to the police box by myself 😌
wel... they asked for but when I told them I didn't have the yjust asked about name, lastname, where I was staying in Japan and things like that.
Never had any problem or just an ammonition to bring the passort with me!

JapanLover said:
I was asked two times for passort or AT LEAST an ID Card. One time was at night in Ginza by two walking policemen, the second time was when I was looking for the Bandai Museum.. I went to the police box by myself 😌
wel... they asked for but when I told them I didn't have the yjust asked about name, lastname, where I was staying in Japan and things like that.
Never had any problem or just an ammonition to bring the passort with me!

The Bandai Museum is easy to find, it sits right next to the Matsudo train station and there's signs and arrows pointing the way throughout the station. You really didn't need to talk to the police for directions.

gaijinalways said:
I would say that for residents, the foreign certificate would be enough. But as I am in England now, I always carry my passport, as they wouldn't recognize a American license or Japanese ID here as valid ID.

I know it's slightly off topic but I wouldn't carry your passport around all the time in England. You could have it pickpocketed. Also in the UK you don't have to carry ID on you at any time, there is no requirement for you to prove who you are.

I know it's slightly off topic but I wouldn't carry your passport around all the time in England. You could have it pickpocketed. Also in the UK you don't have to carry ID on you at any time, there is no requirement for you to prove who you are.

That's why I love UK... In Italy if you don't have an ID with you, the police will take you to the police station for questioning.

cursore said:
That's why I love UK... In Italy if you don't have an ID with you, the police will take you to the police station for questioning.

In Belgium people are supposed to carry their ID at all times too. But in practice I have never seen a policeman ask someone for their ID, except if they were arrested for some crime/offense.

i have to have driver's license when driving, but that's really for other reasons :(
as soon as i see them make a u-turn to follow me, i immediately pull into the nearest driveway/turn my hazard lights on and pull over to the side of the road, then pop the hood
they drive past EVERY TIME. happened last night while driving home after dropping a friend off, in fact

Back
Top Bottom